New Huky 500 User. Tips needed

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Blackholecoffee

#1: Post by Blackholecoffee »

Hello forum, I recently bought a used Huky with the stock IR burner. The drum is perforated and motor is 50rpm.
I usually just roast 350 grams at a time, dump at 410-420f.
Turn around time 2-2:30 minutes. Dry time seems to be 5 minutes.
I turn on the fan and open the shutter for 10 seconds after the drying period.
Close drum shutter to prevent scorching.
Turn up heat to 50%
Ramp up to first crack. slowly begins around 9 minutes.
turn down heat to 40% turn on fan with pipe shutter half open while first crack happens.
turn heat to 45-50% and dump before second crack. total time 13 minutes
I got 310 grams out after roast

I did two roast of a 3 bean blend with those settings. I never notice the Bean mass temp dropping or stalling. But i got some scorching on the flat side. and a little uneven from outside to inside color.
Smells kind of like a baked or plain smell after a couple hours. nothing pleasing. tastes OK

I replaced the environment temperature probe with a thermocouple. What should I pay attention to during the roast with the ET?

(first)

(second)

Anyone with the stock ir burner have any profiles that's had good success? Or is it worth it to replace the ir burner that was included? thanks everyone

Advertisement
bean2friends

#2: Post by bean2friends »

I'd advise against roasting a blend until you get consistent results with one bean. For some good advice on profiles for the Huky, look up posts by Kfir in this Roasting forum. Kfir has given me some good advice.

SJM

#3: Post by SJM »

There are two new Huky related posts on Hankua's blog that you might find interesting/helpful:
http://hankua.wordpress.com/

osanco

#4: Post by osanco »

Just out of curiosity, what's your drop temp?

keno

#5: Post by keno »

A couple of things to consider:

1. What is the blend? Reason I ask is that if it's a mix of low grown (eg, Brazilian) and high grown beans it might be challenging to roast together and you increase risk of scorching the low grown beans.

2. Have you tried smaller batches? In my experience larger batches require more heat and run more risk of uneven heating.

3. Roasts on my Huky have been very even. I have the solid drum and 72 rpm motor. I have no experience with the perforated drum but wonder if it increases the risk of scorching since the beans are exposed to more radiant heat as opposed to conduction and convection. Would be interested to hear from other users with the perforated drum.

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

Austen,

Your intervals are kind of crazy.

2:30 from Drop to TP (turning point) is longish, especially when you consider that you're calling End of Drying at 5:00 (whatever you mean by that), and hitting 1stC at 9:00. Your scorching problem may result from pushing Drying and Ramp too hard and without enough airflow.

A 4:00 Development to a lowish Drop temp (assuming your roast temps are similar to mine) of C to beginning of C+ is too long under any circumstances, and also too long as a ratio to your actual 9:00 interval from Charge to 1stCs. Under those circumstances, a flat, baked roast is almost inevitable.
keno wrote:I have no experience with the perforated drum but wonder if it increases the risk of scorching since the beans are exposed to more radiant heat as opposed to conduction and convection.
Ken,

Perforated drum + IR stove -> More convection, less conduction. I don't think radiant energy plays much of a part with the IR stove, but I'll tell you honestly that's spitballing.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

summer

#7: Post by summer »

boar_d_laze wrote:Austen,
Your scorching problem may result from pushing Drying and Ramp too hard and without enough airflow.
I agree and just want to add, that I never close the drum shutter. I always roast with the shutter open, and only get scorching when my drying+ramp is too fast.
Note: I have the perforated drum and the fast motor (72 rpm).

Advertisement
Kfir

#8: Post by Kfir »

Scorching will not occur just because of low drum speed even at 40rpm.

From my experience the main reason for that is too much heat (and a combination of low grown beans).

Your turn around time is way too long, you are probably not pre heating the roaster long enough.
I suggest to charge the beans at a higher temp: try 230 ET for 300g and 270 ET for 400g

Aim for turn around point at <= 1:45
Use a bit more heat during drying, aim for 4 minutes.

I don't use much air during the roast, none when drying then a 7sec strong pulse every minute or so till the end of the roast.
Alternatively you could use low airflow all the way... Try it and see what works best.

Kfir.

Blackholecoffee (original poster)

#9: Post by Blackholecoffee (original poster) »

Hello, thank you everyone for your response. I will advise from roasting blends at the moment until I can get the good results from single origin. keno, it was a blend given to me from a local roaster to try. But it's a mix of high and low grown, he preblends 35lbs of it so I am guessing at that volume consistity is not a big issue? I haven't tried lower than 350g at the moment. I will be roasting more this weekend, will update with results.

GregR

#10: Post by GregR »

Great advice you've received and I'll just add that I use the low air flow approach and the roasts are consistenly uniformly even, high or low grown beans- no scorching ever and that's with the shutter full open always. Fan usage like this: set to about 20% from the moment the stove is lit then a 20-30 second blast (50%) of air at the end of the drying phase then once first crack is over air is full on until the beans are dropped. Not much finesse there but it's working well for me. Sample pic: http://bit.ly/1pAdUTJ