New HotTop Owner: Dark Roasts ?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
steelgtr

#1: Post by steelgtr »

Hi Guys

Just got a used P model HT. Need some tips for getting a dark roast. The first few got kicked out either by times up or temp. We like a slight oil sheen and didn't get there. Tried a 250 and a 275 gr. roast on Manual.

Thanks

bob

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

What program did you use?
Did you add "PLUS" time at the end? (page 30 - Step 8)
The greater the mass of coffee the lighter the roast will be, generally speaking.
The "lossy" nature of the programming will take some experimentation and experience to work with.
Try the information and program on page 36 of the manual.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

steelgtr (original poster)

#3: Post by steelgtr (original poster) »

Thanks, Randy

I used a manual program (22min) that the previous owner used and did add time at the end, Or I tried and the temp limit kicked me out. It was my first few roasts so I will try and pay more attention :)

Is "auto" mode worth trying? Couldn't see what it really is without trying it?

Thx

bob

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Being that it is a used roaster it is difficult to say exactly what to do. There have been various iterations of the "P" model and while the difference are minor and virtually impossible to identify, they do affect how the roaster works. I would use a program and keep very careful note as to how each segment makes use of the time. It is so difficult to describe but I will try: If a segment hits the highest temperature that it can achieve (see the chart on page 32), AND there is time left on that segment, then after the roast completes, modify that segment to save that time for later segments when you need it.

OK- so that is how to maximize the allotted time you have. But for temperature? Obviously, once you hit the max temperature it's game over. So now what? Why is it doing that? Old style thermocouple that is bad? Older board that is not "cooperative" ? Too low fan speed or too high temp near the end of the roast? Is the target temperature set too low? What is the maximum temperature it hit at ejection? 428? 435? The "P" has its place and it does "ok" for what it is and how it works, but you start to see why (as an employee of Hottop) when someone serious about roasting asks me, I recommend the "B" model. It is sort of like trying to be a competitive road racer with a three speed automatic transmission in a Ford Taurus... station wagon. The wagon has its place, but that place is not on a road course.

And the Auto mode is not all that great. it is OK with the B models, but with the limited in-roast control you have with the P it is limited.

Contact me on the Hottop USA website and there are a couple of temperature tests we can do to compare what we have on file to what you are experiencing.

#5: Post by steelgtr (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Thanks, Randy

For now and the next roast, should I try the program on page 36? I see it is only 18:30 and even with the 3 additional minutes, that might not be enough?

BTW, my first 2 roasts were done with an older (dirty?) filter and i have a new one in there. And also, I see that the previous owners' manual program had the fan on on all segments, and that 1st crack didn't happen until -3:10 and -2:45 on the countdown timer! (22 min Program). That's not normal is it?

Thanks again for your help; the first 2 roasts were so much better than any I eve got on my popcorn popper!

bob

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

If it went some 19 minutes before hitting 1st crack there is definitely something wrong. Either the program itself is not very good or there is a problem with the roaster. Please contact me through Hottop USA and we can talk in detail there. I do not want to represent a commercial entity in which I have a self interest here on home barista.com.

#7: Post by steelgtr (original poster) »

Will do. Thanks.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

250-275 is max for a HotTop, you may try lowering your charge to 150-200 as well.
Dave Stephens