Moisture % in Greens

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

#1: Post by SJM »

I've recently received some Tanzanian beans that tested 7.7%, and I have some Yemen that tested at 7.1%, and I'm wondering how you do (or don't) adjust your roast for those seemingly low moisture levels?

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava replying to SJM »

Suggest finding, Susan, a second moisture meter in a shop and have those numbers corroborated before assuming they are correct and basing roasts on them.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
SJM (original poster)

#3: Post by SJM (original poster) »

What a good idea!.
Maybe you could help me with that and take a moisture reading on that Yemen Red Marqaha?
https://millcityroasters.com/shop/green ... a-grade-a/
That would give me something to compare my readings to.
And we are probably using the same Wile meter, too :-)))

Thanks for the idea.

Susan

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC replying to SJM »

Yemeni coffees are often the outliers in terms of moisture and that particular green is no different. My moisture reading on the same coffee using the same meter, shows the same result.

The coffee will need less upfront heat and will yellow quicker with less thermal energy needed to roast.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

SJM (original poster)

#5: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Well that is just excellent information.
You answered the question I did have when I first posted (how to handle low moisture beans) and also the one I didn't know I had (how accurate my Wile meter is).

An excellent outcome.
Thank you, Tom.

This is another bean that I just received.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/tan ... ara-tarime
It also has very low moisture (7.7%) and I will proceed more comfortably now.

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

SJM wrote:...
Maybe you could help me with that and take a moisture reading on that Yemen Red Marqaha?
https://millcityroasters.com/shop/green ... a-grade-a/
Yemeni Coffee? Surely you jest. That is long, long gone. Leaving Yemeni coffee in our house greens bin is like leaving Reeses Cups on my bureau. Don't expect them to be there when you come back.
-----
LMWDP #339

SJM (original poster)

#7: Post by SJM (original poster) »

This leads me to wonder:
Is this a reasonable data point to expect sellers to have and to share about their beans?
Is there any reason not to inquire as to the moisture content of a bean before purchasing it?

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC replying to SJM »

Water Activity plays a more important role in determining green coffee quality than moisture content. I am not aware of any large green vendor who wants to document their green coffee moisture level and update it as it ages. And water activity meters are extremely expensive. Some of the problems come from what I mentioned prior, some coffees, namely many Yemeni's (which are almost universally natural's) are always going to be on the far edge of the bell curve of moisture content. That shouldn't steer a buyers decision or give inference as to quality. But it does give some insight on how to best roast it.

Most green coffee vendors are looking to have coffee that is somewhere near 10.5- 12.0% moisture. Coffees that start creeping up higher are at a higher risk of mold contamination or just going funky quicker. But this doesn't generally occur until you're north of 14% or more, and it's highly dependent on storage conditions. You'll never see a reputable green coffee vendor stacking jute bags directly on concrete floors. They run havoc on beans during extremes in temperature changes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

dustin360

#9: Post by dustin360 »

I personally believe you can work within the constructs of the moisture available (within reason). I enjoy trying to roast "drier" coffee for fun to see what I can get from it. If you play around with the profile you might be shocked. Ive roasted stuff that was a couple seasons old and not stored super well, and was shocked how much I could still get out of it. There was still a tinge of wood, but it realy only became obvious when I compared it to the new crop of the same coffee. If you work hard enough some magical things can happen in the roaster. So I guess my main point is dont get to caught up in what the moisture reading is, unless your planning on buying 20 pallets of a coffee that you want to last a year or more. ;)

johnny4lsu

#10: Post by johnny4lsu »

Dustin, Any key suggestions that you could share from your past experiences in dealing with those older coffees?