Mill City FOTR 2016 discussion

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

moderators: methinks more readers might notice our FOTR discussion if in 'Home Roasting' forum. Feel free to delete/modify/merge etc.
LMWDP #198

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Let'er rip! No moderator approval needed. I look forward to seeing what others learn and discover. I didn't jump in this year, but it sounds like it's going to be a great event.

It would help other readers if they BOLDED/CAPPED their beans by title (best to use the numbers printed on the bags to preserve the fairness of the competition), i.e. SAMPLE 1 to make it easier for folks to follow along.

I'll go ahead and pin this thread at the top of the forum for folks to easily find.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

day

#3: Post by day »

One potential problem I foresee is that others may not want to share their thoughts for fear of helping another beat them:) I don't stand much of a chance but, I can imagine that being a concern.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Chert (original poster)

#4: Post by Chert (original poster) replying to day »

Right, through the discussion one could garner a clue that would allow a correct round 1 entry, or conversely give one away. Or engage in "psychological warfare" as my son use to say during board games.

In that light, I will bring up guessing strategy: Is it better (A) to roast/cup early and enter a best guess quickly for fear that correct entries are likely and to advance the early-bird option is key. OR (B)is it best to roast - cup - extract and roast-cup-extract a second set in order to try to be more certain, if possible.

With choice of Burundi, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Kenya, and Mexico I think similarities are significant among the origins so I would opt for choice B. If the choices were say Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Kenya, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Sumatra, Tanzania, and Vietnam then option A would certainly be the way to go.
LMWDP #198

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

day wrote:One potential problem I foresee is that others may not want to share their thoughts for fear of helping another beat them:) I don't stand much of a chance but, I can imagine that being a concern.
Each entrant can determine his/her approach. From this end, we are trying to engender a spirit of learning. Some will share, some will choose not to. That will be an individual choice.

Regardless, I would encourage full sharing once Round 1 closes. They will be rich discussions.

Dave
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert (original poster)

#6: Post by Chert (original poster) »

So far I like Sample 2 the best: I never roasted this origin and bean before :wink:

I have chosen to roast quite small initial batches to a sample or city profile, which with the Huky makes Artisan graphing kinda weird. So the senses come in to play, a bit more than usual.
Here is a graph of that one:

LMWDP #198

turtle

#7: Post by turtle »

Chert wrote:moderators: methinks more readers might notice our FOTR discussion if in 'Home Roasting' forum. Feel free to delete/modify/merge etc.
OK I don't mean to sound too lame here

BUT......

1) Where is the "other" post?

2) WTF is FOTR? :roll:

3) I know who Mill City is so no need to answer that :wink:
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

btreichel

#8: Post by btreichel »

Focus on the roast. They supply 5 2lb samples of green, and 9 possible origins. 1st round, you identify the 5 samples. The 7 that get that correct get another bean to roast, that bean is cuped by coffee Joe, etc to determine the winner.

Chert (original poster)

#9: Post by Chert (original poster) »

CONTEST-WITHIN-A-CONTEST

a confessional aside: I am guilty of some faux pas on this forum of coffee enthusiasts. I've gone and caused cross-posting between two forums on here.

Here is a chance for me to delay cupping my samples - I am afraid it will just confuse the strong hunches my eyes and nose have given me. Maybe just turn in my entry before cupping...

So I made this image to share with those non-participants who want to see what this contest looks like. (Also see the market place thread for a cool picture of the 2 lb bags of greens ) and the contest-within-a-contest is to guess the order of samples. Sorry non-particpants, but I suppose if you guess correctly you also win the prize, see below Look at your entry beans and tell me in what order I have set my samples one-two-three-and-four-and five. No tricks: the respective green is touching the cup of the sample roast of that origin, whichever the heck it is.

If you get it right, you win a prize! I ship you a roast of the lot you prefer (FOTR, 1,2,3,4 or 5), 200 g. (PM entries to me off-line please. And by Aug 30 - 1st correct one gets the prize.)

LMWDP #198

day

#10: Post by day »

Of course everyone else can identify the number by visual appearance of greens :) they do each look quite distinct and is the first task I embark on today-to distinguish by green appearance.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone