Las Margaritas Yellow Bourbon / Roast / Discuss / Enjoy

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

Las Margaritas Yellow Bourbon Fully Washed Crown Jewel

I'll start a thread about roasting and tasting this one. There is a nice webpage to browse above with a sample roast graph from the team at Royal. Cool stuff. I'm not sophisticated enough in roasting to take advantage of it all. So there is always more to learn.

Here was my first go, just planned to get through 1C and drop as soon as my sniffer noticed some sweet at the tryer.

This was a typical heat and airflow approach for me usually try for 4-5 min to DE / 3-4 min to 1Cs and for this roast I was aiming to drop early in development. I look forward to cupping it tomorrow.

[EDIT]: Rather than pointing out the perhaps obvious fact that I am still on a steep part of this learning curve, I added a new signature line.

This roast ended up being a City+ for degree of development. Not the City cupping roast I wanted. I think this moisture level of 11.4% can take more heat early. Next roast I'll back off the heat to try to emulate the intervals with a lower drop temp.

Cupped next to Bluebeard of Tacoma Ethiopia Ardi (sweet citrus caramel, minimal roast in the finish): acidity preserved, good sweetness, touch of fruit. My impression is that this bean is one I will quite enjoy.

I also went ahead and made an espresso with it. I would not have guessed that a roast like this and < 16 hours old could please as espresso, but the one I pulled was no sink shot.

Here is roast 2: I dropped the temperature of the roaster earlier and extended development.
I pulled one of roast 2 and compared with roast of La Estrella, a Colombian from Mill City. Since I can only say both yum and sweet and slight nuance, I add the quote below, which resonates with my ability to analyze my results, that is I need to keep working at it.

amh0001 wrote:Another huge tip is: try to learn how to turn your tastes into words. I see so many people post graphs saying the roast wasn't great, but they don't say why. A graph is only one piece of the puzzle, you need to combine the graph with your tastes so you can understand what your actually doing. For instance, I know that if I taste pencil shavings or cardboard that my roast was baked. If I taste burnt tar or oil, I probably roasted to dark. If it tastes vegital or too acidic I ether roasted too light or just under developed. Tasting with other people is the easiest way to learn quickly.Cheers.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

How would you (if you would/could) compare this to the La Estrella that you were roasting recently?

Chert (original poster)

#3: Post by Chert (original poster) replying to SJM »

I enjoy the Mill City offering, Colombia Estrella, but have none roasted at the moment. I have 5# still so your question prompts me to compare 2 or 3 different Colombians as this comparative roasting of the Crown Jewel. Compare and Contrast Hector Vargas, Las Margaritas yellow bourbon, and Estrella.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I may have an answer for the question in the near future.
LMWDP #198

Almico

#4: Post by Almico »

The yellow just arrived. Thanks!

I'm also getting 5# of the red bourbon. This should be a very interesting comparison.

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JavaMD »

Mine just came also .. Psyched to try the Yellow Bourbon ... smells great
Steve

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

Mine too....

rbk

#7: Post by rbk »

Received this yesterday as well. Roasted a test-batch of it, which I'm currently drinking as v60.

Roasted as beautifully as I'd expect a high-grown washed bean to, nice and even, nary a defect in sight. Interestingly, 1cs happened for me (quite convincingly) about 10°F lower than most other roasts.

Only a day off roast that I'm tasting this, but it actually reminds me a lot of a nice Kenyan coffee. Nice and sweet, fruit character feels somewhere in the citrus/green-apple neighborhood, and there's a subtle almost-savory herbal note that I usually associate with Kenyans.

Looking forward to experimenting with this more (a more developed roast is definitely on my itinerary), thanks again for distributing this!

Advertisement
Chert (original poster)

#8: Post by Chert (original poster) »

You are all most welcome!

As I taste my first roast, imperfect though it was, a theme of great mouthfeel is emerging. I wonder what you all find in that regard.
LMWDP #198

SJM

#9: Post by SJM »

Just out of the roaster
Tonino 92.

Almico

#10: Post by Almico »

Roasted 10oz this evening. Will...wait...till...morning...to try some: