Large Quantity Coffee Greens Storage

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
DavinG

#1: Post by DavinG »

I understand most people are vacuum sealing their green beans in order to ensure the green beans last longer in storage. What are your thoughts on storing green beans in large tupperware containers? I also came across AirScape bucket inserts for food-grade 5 gallon pails. The AirScape bucket inserts are quite costly but look like the ultimate storage option. Anyone have any experience on using these for green coffee bean storage:

https://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Design ... 017UXAE6E/

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

That's a pretty cool idea. I store coffee in 32 gallon NSF Brute "trash" cans. I do go through it, but if I can make a DIY version simple enough, it couldn't hurt limiting the amount of air in the cans.

DavinG (original poster)

#3: Post by DavinG (original poster) »

I opted for several 3 gallon tupperware containers. They perfectly fit 25 lbs of green beans and are easier to manage.

Headala

#4: Post by Headala »

Here's what preppers do with corn, beans, rice, etc:

1. Fill up a 55 gallon plastic drum with coffee beans.
2. Open a disposable hand warmer, shake well and place on top.
3. Seal lid.

The hand warmer uses up all of the leftover oxygen in the drum over the next several hours, continuing its mild warming until all the oxygen is used up, then the reaction stops. A cool side effect is that if there are any tiny leaks (at least for a little while), the hand warmer will restart the reaction untill the new oxygen is used up, or the hand warmer is used up.

Of course this can be adapted for smaller containers. Just as long as the container is mainly full of beans and not oxygen.

monkfe

#5: Post by monkfe »

Davin, I was about to purchase that top, but after reading the "verified purchases", it seems to have a problem after a short time of not sealing and failing. If you're going to use buckets does anyone know of a fitting , I'm thinking check valve, bulkhead fitting with a relief valve, that can be installed into the top and then just use a regular vacuum pump to pump out the air? I use one of those counter type vacuum devices for small amounts of food- bag storage and it works great for that purpose. Paul

Jvietri

#6: Post by Jvietri »

I am using the 5 gallon buckets with the Planetary top. They work amazingly well. They get a bit challenging when there is a small quantity of coffee..