Kona Roast Profile Suggestions/Advice

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
MSH

#1: Post by MSH »

So looks like SM has a Kona offering up as of yesterday and I'm thinking about picking up 1# ($19.80/lb, 2# limit). I have zero experience roasting Hawaiian coffees. I have always wanted to order some Ka'u greens directly from Rusty's, but have never pulled the trigger(i think Klatch was offering some of the Rusty's green for a while to, but no longer)

At any rate, with the high price and seeing that I will only have 2 shots at nailing a decent roast I'm looking for profile suggestions.
I'm assuming that typical low grown (Indonesian type) profiles will apply, but would be interested in what folks that have roasted Konas have done.(this will be for brewed coffee BTW)
Was thinking 340-350 charge temp, 5-5:15min drying, slower ramp to 1C with moderate airflow (I'm on a Hottop) target of 10-10:30-ish 1C with a 2:15-2:30 1C-EOR targeting City+

Any input/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

coffeedom

#2: Post by coffeedom »

Haven't tried the Kowali yet (will have to order some before it goes) but as it's a classic Kona I think your intended profile is close to what I'd do. The last Kona I roasted was great at City+/FC.

I'd aim for a slightly longer drying phase, maybe 5:30-5:45, slightly quicker ramp up to 1C at around 10:00, and maybe 2:45-3:00 1C-EOR with a finish just a hint lighter than FC but closer to FC than City+. Something around Agtron 45 or a bit lighter anyway. I prefer just a bit more body than City+ but just a bit. Brewing method is also a factor, as I'd do this in my Chemex with Kone filter. Chemex or similar with paper filters might be better with City+.

Best of luck with it.

jonny

#3: Post by jonny »

I just picked up a pound as well. I've never tried Hawaiian coffee of any kind, good or bad. I am usually not interested in the price tag, based on the flavor profile. This one said it was higher elevation and slightly brighter, so I thought this might be a good one for me to try. I'll be interested to hear any suggested profiles as well. I will probably be targeting a city+ roast as suggested from SM. I'm sure I'll be pulling espresso as well as drip. I wish I had a lower powered roaster for small quantities like this. The lowest quantity I can roast on the BBQ is about a half pound, and it's still pretty fast.

endlesscycles

#4: Post by endlesscycles »

There's probably cheaper 88 point Washed Typica out there, and when there's a 90+ Kenya for one third the price, I just can't imagine the point.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

MSH (original poster)

#5: Post by MSH (original poster) »

Dom and Jonny, thanks for chiming in. Appreciate the feedback on suggested profile tweaks as well Dom!

Marshall, for the most part I agree with your point and it's the main reason I have passed on any of the Kona/Hawaiian offerings in the past. The cost was just too high to justify vs the alternatives. Since I was placing an order with SM anyway for 3 of the 4 Kenyan offerings and one of the new Colombians I decided to pull the trigger on the 1# of Kona.
I have been wanting to give some Kona a go ever since my wife and I last visited her sister on Oahu. I had an opportunity to sample some of the Rusty's coffee at one of the better coffee shops on Honolulu near her sister, Morning Glass. It wasn't super complex but had amazing sweetness. I was bummed because they had it the first day and the next two days I dropped by they were out. At any rate, I always told myself I'd pick up some green Kona at some point and this was a good opportunity to do so.

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

Rusty's is a Ka'u coffee, different region (SW corner of Big Island). It sounds like you had her Caturra.

With all island beans, I don't change the ramp but do back off the heat (grown at 800-2000') all throughout the roast. Konas are a sweet, simple, clean cup. Of course there are better "values" out there. I enjoy supporting the US farmer and buy 5 lbs of greens every year, mainly from Kona Earth via GCBC.
-----
LMWDP #339

MSH (original poster)

#7: Post by MSH (original poster) replying to Boldjava »

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I honestly don't remember which Rusty's coffee it was that I had. It probably was their standard Ka'u beans that Morning Glass had roasted.
At any rate, really looking forward to roasting it up. Should be here by Thursday.

MSH (original poster)

#8: Post by MSH (original poster) »

So I ended up doing a "Diedrich-Lite" profile today for this coffee--> 5:15 to 300BT. Spent slightly less than 6.5 mins in the maillard zone (290BT-390BT) with a slightly longer 2:45 1C-EOR (which I believe is slightly longer than the textbook Diedrich profile typically calls for). Wasn't my intent to have a 11min 1C (was shooting for approx a 10 min 1C), but didn't quite work out that way.

350BT Charge
300BT @ 5:15
1C @ 387BT(11:00)
1C ends @ 408BT (13:13)
EOR @ 416BT (13:45)
City+
15.1% Moisture loss

christopheradam

#9: Post by christopheradam »

Dear MSH,
Probably the best brew i have had to date from my roaster was with a Kona.

The roast profile i used was was as follows,
Stage One 170degC for 3.00mins
Stage Two 205degC for 3.00mins
Stage Three 232degC until i hit the cool button depending on whether you prefer medium or dark roast
alternatively program stage three for 4.30mins

I did 2 roasts,
one was medium roast, for my lattes (which blew my mind)
the other was dark roast. i roasted until counted oils on 10 beans, then hit cool.

i personally prefer island beans for any milky coffees.

anyway, good luck.