Jabez Burns 2 Drum Sample Roaster

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ira
Team HB

#1: Post by ira »

This was posted over on CoffeeGeek. I hear them talked about with longing on occasion so I thought I'd post a pointer. I hope I'm not out of bounds.

https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffe ... 777#695777

And he's been warned it might be worth something.

Ira

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

ira wrote:This was posted over on CoffeeGeek. I hear them talked about with longing on occasion so I thought I'd post a pointer. I hope I'm not out of bounds.

And he's been warned it might be worth something.
..I hope I wasn't out of bounds... I warned him. :oops:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

It certainly is (worth a ton). I replied over there so the OP can hopefully see it. Thanks for the heads up.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ira (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by ira (original poster) »

I think my warning was a bit more emphatic than yours, so it's me they'll be mad at if anyone.

Ira

dustin360

#5: Post by dustin360 »

10,000 is what four barrel is asking for theres. But thats the tip top of asking prices. They know they will have to sit on it for a couple years to get that price.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by samuellaw178 »

Pardon my ignorance, but what's so desirable about these roasters? :oops: I know it's out of production and probably has a good long history behind them. But externally, it just seems like a solid drum gas roaster without much control. If anything, I see more burnt beans than anything from Google images. :P

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

samuellaw178 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what's so desirable about these roasters?
Commercial roasters like them as they are gas fired and can be used for sampling and cupping and getting a basic handle on roast levels and curves before sending a 110lb bag of beans to its death in a Probat in a failed experiment. Others use a Hottop.. :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
dustin360

#8: Post by dustin360 »

samuellaw178 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what's so desirable about these roasters? :oops: I know it's out of production and probably has a good long history behind them. But externally, it just seems like a solid drum gas roaster without much control. If anything, I see more burnt beans than anything from Google images. :P
Nothing in my opinion. People covet what they can't have. Paying ten grand for two stupid spinning barrels is insane. You could buy 8 quests, or three brand new one kilo roasters. But a lot of the coffee industry parrots what others are doing. So there will be no trouble selling this roaster.

millcityroasters

#9: Post by millcityroasters »

Open drum sample roasters like this are used more to quickly evaluate basic coffee quality and less for actual profiling experiments.

If you had to cup and grade 40 lots tomorrow, you'd definitely want one with as many drums as you could handle.

They are prized for speed, flexibility, and repeatability. You'll find one nearly everywhere someone is handling large volumes of coffee in unique lots.

They are in demand because there's increasing demand for higher quality coffee and there's only a handful of manufacturers producing a very small number of these machines. Personally, I've been on the hunt for one myself for about a year.