Is it time for better roasting terminology? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cimarronEric
Sponsor

#11: Post by cimarronEric »

farmroast wrote:I actually have distinguished to friends that most of my coffee is baked :roll: to avoid the roasty flavors favored by those that roast coffee. It works quite well for them.
And Vinnie Barbarino said, "I'm so confused..."
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

N3Roaster

#12: Post by N3Roaster »

NoStream wrote:Color seems fine and wouldn't mislead. Chemistry could be informative but risks being just another false system.
Where chemistry becomes most useful is in the exceptional circumstances. Where there is a particular flavor with one or very few known chemicals associated with it and you can adjust how the coffee is roasted to emphasize or (more generally) mute that particular point. The vast majority of the time it isn't needed, but it's occasionally essential.

Advertisement
ciel-007

#13: Post by ciel-007 »

TomC wrote:... My point with removing "drying" from that point in the roast curve was because the beans aren't dry then. Simply stated... It's something I've been guilty of for years, following suit with what many have already described when I discuss how fast one might want to get thru the "drying phase". I don't want to imply anymore that the beans are dry at such point, or based on a 300°F probe reading, etc. By saying I charged at so and so temp, and hit "yellow" at 5.5 minutes, I think it creates a better description of what's going on in the drum, without being superfluous...
End Of Yellowing (EOY)? vs End Of Drying (EOD)?

Tom, perhaps you might be interested in a thread that I started on another forum.
It raises a question which some might feel has legitimacy. Namely, should we consider using
the phrase "End Of Yellowing" (EOY) in lieu of the term "End of Drying" (EOD)?

Fern

http://homeroasters.org/php/forum/viewt ... post_54642