Interesting possible roast logging option

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
UltramaticOrange

#1: Post by UltramaticOrange »

*drum roll* yeah, another kickstarter thing. Basically a thermocouple that connects to your Apple iPad or iPhone. Apparently Android users aren't hip enough.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sup ... scover_pop
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

These are a neat option. I wish the hardware was more adaptable though, to various thermocouples.

I've never bothered to take the plunge personally, but in the competitive BBQ world, many folks can basically PID their smokers (sorta), by wirelessly controlling a small fan that's mounted into the intake of a Silver Bullet from Webber. You can run to the store to grab more beer and monitor, and even change your smoking temperature.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

TomC wrote: I've never bothered to take the plunge personally, but in the competitive BBQ world, many folks can basically PID their smokers (sorta), by wirelessly controlling a small fan that's mounted into the intake of a Silver Bullet from Webber. You can run to the store to grab more beer and monitor, and even change your smoking temperature.
Tom,

The most common wi-fi pit controller is called "The Stoker," but there are several others. They are adaptable to a variety of different pits, not just the Weber Smokey Mountain aka WSM aka Webber Bullet. There are other wired controllers which do the same thing. The best of these is the Guru (which is what I use); but as with the wi-fi controllers, there are others.

[As an FYI, WSMs are versatile, high-value-low-cost smokers; and while they may be the best of the bullets, they are not anywhere close to the big dogs of barbecue -- comp or backyard. Also FYI, a "Silver Bullet" is not a smoker, it's a can of beer. Thus endeth the digression. ]

The common controllers like the Guru and Stoker aren't PID. They're really just thermostats with simple on off settings. They control cook-chamber temperatures by regulating a fan in the fire chamber's air intake vent. They turn the fan on when the temperature inside the cook chamber falls below the minimum dead-band point, and turning the fan off when the temperature exceeds (wait for it) the maximum dead-band point.

They also can turn off the fan when the food reaches a user set internal temperature

User input with the Guru is limited to the temperature values for desired chambe temp, which is actually the dead-band's midpoint, and the desired food internal temperature. I'm not sure what more can be done with a Stoker; but since they're wi-fi, you can probably use the computer to do some dT/t profiling. There is a Chinese made PID pit controller, but I've never seen one in person. I'm not sure what a PID will give you beyond what can be done with a Stoker.

The dead-bands are tight, and the controllers are good at regulating temperatures, but imperfect. For instance they cannot control a run-away increase if shutting the fan off isn't enough; nor can they add fuel or stir the coals. One of the primary benefits of a Stoker, or of adding a wireless readout thermometer to your pit along with a Guru, is to act as an alarm and let you know when the controller is overwhelmed.

Pit controllers aren't limited to competitive 'q. My guess is that the vast majority never leave the backyard. Gurus are probably the most common controller on the competitive circuit because they're cheaper than Stokers and because why do you need wireless when you're there anyway?

For the backyard though... Dammit Tom! You've got me thinking about how the wireless on my Maverick drops the signal at the spa and in my office.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

Yes, we're basically splitting hairs, they're not PID's that's why I wrote (sorta), they're basically fan controlled thermostats. I've used both, and they're kinda neat, but I just haven't bothered.
Both of them and the WSM have been used in competition, although I'd agree that the fan controlled thermostats are more at home in the backyard. The guy who's been winning most of the west coasts BBQ competitions the last 6 years or so,( Harry Soo, Slap yo Daddy BBQ) strictly competed using the WSM.

LOL on the Silver Bullet slip up :lol: Personally, I wouldn't let that stuff near me.

Back to this thermocouple, it would be nice to see someone hardwire a slightly different setup, where 2 or 3 can be fed into an iPad while roasting. I'll have more space shortly, when I re-arrange a big stainless steel table that's currently occupied by the giant Gaggia project, but when the right gas roaster lands on my doorstep, there'll be more room on the table for a laptop or whatever datalogging, screen read out I end up choosing.

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

Harry is after my time in KCBS, but I've seen him and his WSMs on the TV show, BBQ Pitmasters (where he got killed). No question that if you use it right, the WSM is an excellent pit.

Not that it matters, but we use a Backwoods Fatboy and a semi-custom Klose "Santa Maria" style steak grill as our outdoor cookers.

If you ever get down here, consider yourself invited for 'q.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

I've made literally at least 20 batches of your pork chili verde recipe, so I know you know how to cook! Good chefs knife write ups too. Someone's going to take a knife to this thread if I keep going off topic, so I'll stop.

nefilim

#7: Post by nefilim »

There is already an iphone/ipad/ipod touch temperature sensor in the market, the iCelsius , build in the US.

DJR

#8: Post by DJR »

I bought the iCelcius and it is about 5-6 degrees off, but not uniformly across the spectrum. It is also slow to respond, so I gave up on it after not having a satisfactory session of customer service.