Inside of bean darker than outside?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
adondo1

#1: Post by adondo1 »

I noticed that the internal portion of the bean is darker than the outside, which I haven't heard of before. More common to me is a darker outside than inside. Anyone know what might cause this?
Below is three pictures, first one from the café, and second two roasted by me. It's exactly the same beans. As can be seen the bean from the café doesn't have this.

Bean from Café, tot. roast time something around 10-11min.

1st roast. tot. roast time 10:12, DE 5:55.

2nd roast. tot roast time 10:57, DE 6:20.

Thanks in advance!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Did you take a sample of ten or so beans from each roast? The third photo looks a lot like it was a shell (the green bean had no center).
Jim Schulman

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

The center of the beans have more oils, which will appear darker. Depending on the age of the first roast, (if it's a bit older) the oil could have migrated more and evened out. You can roast on a Loring and get a lot of coffee to look like that first bean as well, so it's partially roaster dependent.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

EddyQ

#4: Post by EddyQ »

Internal scorching. Willem Boot has a good article that helped me reduce ashyness with some Brazil's that I suspected the same thing was happening. I did not have a microscope and couldn't see as well as your pictures show. For me, I dropped my MET temperatures during first stages of roast and the issue went away.
https://bootcoffee.com/wp-content/uploa ... July05.pdf
LMWDP #671

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

Can you post the profiles for those two roasts of yours?
It would be interesting in relation the linked suggestion that a too-short dry time might be the culprit.

RyanJE

#6: Post by RyanJE replying to SJM »

So I'm not a roaster, but how does a roast profile show if a green was properly dried? I'm following this thread because I noticed the exact same issue on a recent purchase of roasted coffee. I couldn't understand how the interior would be darker than the exterior...
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

SJM

#7: Post by SJM »

It won't, but if the period of time it takes in the drying phase (i.e. up to about 150C) is too short, if the bean temperature rises too fast, it would be suggestive. Profiles give you clues. They don't tell the whole story.

adondo1 (original poster)

#8: Post by adondo1 (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Did you take a sample of ten or so beans from each roast? The third photo looks a lot like it was a shell (the green bean had no center).
Yes I did! It looks like that since it broke as I cut it.
EddyQ wrote:Internal scorching. Willem Boot has a good article that helped me reduce ashyness with some Brazil's that I suspected the same thing was happening. I did not have a microscope and couldn't see as well as your pictures show. For me, I dropped my MET temperatures during first stages of roast and the issue went away.
https://bootcoffee.com/wp-content/uploa ... July05.pdf
Interestingly enough the middle picture is the shortest dry phase but also show internal scorching to a less degree than the latter. These are just two roasts though so I'lll have to compare more I guess. But having them as base I get the opposite trend with the length of dry phase.
SJM wrote:Can you post the profiles for those two roasts of yours?
It would be interesting in relation the linked suggestion that a too-short dry time might be the culprit.
Here they are! Don't mind the jumps in BT as it is just electrical noise from touching something!

adondo1 (original poster)

#9: Post by adondo1 (original poster) »

ilker

#10: Post by ilker »

how is the taste? any bitterness with those internally dark beans?