Indoor popper-roasting mod

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pacificmanitou

#1: Post by pacificmanitou »

Recently my roasts started degrading due to cooler temperatures outside, which has led me to roast indoors. With a popper this is rather difficult, as there is an abundance of unfiltered smoke and chaff blown out the chimney of the roaster. To counter this I have built an attachment for the roaster based on a picture of a melitta aromaroast I saw.

Chaff is blown out the chimney into the collector basin around the edge of the chimney, which can be emptied by removing the screen.

The roaster itself is filled and emptied by removing the chaff collector from the chimney.

The next challenge is smoke reduction. I roast relatively light, so theres not much smoke. My smoke detectors, however, disagree. Im aiming to build a smoke filter of some type. Any ideas?
LMWDP #366

jonny

#2: Post by jonny »

Do you have a hood over your stove that vents outside? When I used a popper, I just had the hood on full blast and never had a problem. You could use ducting to guide the smoke from the popper to the hood or out a window, if in fact you do not have a hood. A fan may be required to force the smoke out the window. A CPU fan would work well for this.

Advertisement
youmingc

#3: Post by youmingc »

Mr_Ed on the other thread posted his mod, I think it's great. The hinge part and the ventilation is great.

See:
Poppery I PID/Variac Mod (another one :-)
LMWDP #413
Why drink mud water when you can have real coffee?
When you can't sound good, be loud.