Importing Quest M3 (Canada)

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
happycat

#1: Post by happycat »

Any Canadians who imported the Quest M3? Any issues or gotchas to be aware of (customs, other)? I am in Montreal.

I've been in contact with Molly at Fonglong Enterprise, Taiwan about the Quest M3 and got a quote with shipping by EMS. Anyone else bought direct via wire transfer? Seems you save $350 vs buying through the USA. Any trust issues? In the past I've bought stuff from Asia with no issues... a monitor I bought from Korea arrived faster than some stainless mesh I bought from the north of my own city! It seems the package would end up being delivered by Canada Post at this end.

I am thinking of getting this to upgrade from my $17 Walmart modded air popper. I've burned out one popper's coil and replaced with a second popper. My batches using SweetMarias beans are 90gm and I do three in a row. Results vary-- some delicious, otherwise good. My preference is probably a medium roast. I use a basic consistent recipe of power (via router speed controller) and time while listening to cracks. It's extremely cheap with decent results -- my wife far prefers my roasts to anything we buy from artisan roasters in our city or places we visit. But I am beginning to suspect that our grinding and brewing habits support my roasts, so there is that.

I realize that moving to a drum roaster is going to have a whole new learning curve.

I live in a condo so electric seems to be the way to go. My wife seems to think the FreshRoast SR700 is the better choice because it has computer control (although very very basic... the heater has 3 settings) and is way cheaper... but I don't want to get on an upgrade train like I did buying a mediocre grinder for my espresso machine. It seems to me that Freshroast, Gene Cafe, and maybe even Hot Top at this point are place holders. For grinders, I have a Pharos and a used Bunn G1. I am hoping the Quest is the same character of product-- solid, fixable, lasting, reliable, consistent. I sense Hot Top owners might bristle-- but the Quest bought direct is cheaper.

It doesn't help there are some condo repairs to pay for too, and Xmas is on the way. :P However, I had raises this year and extra work and I've (mostly) been a good boy.
LMWDP #603

AndreG
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by AndreG »

Hi,

I live in Laval and I it was a pleasure doing business with Molly two and a half years ago to benefit of the savings. It still looks new. Cleaning is a breeze. I was a bit of a problem getting understood because I wanted to order spare parts: Heating elements, K type Thermocouple for BT, cooling fan motor (bottom) and main fan motor and a front bearing. I should have ordered the main fan because the lock screw is glued in place. I have not used them yet.

I use Jim's TC4C to hook up ET, BT, MET (http://users.rcn.com/erics/Quest_Thermocouples_04.pdf) to a portable computer.

I received a quote and bank transfert information (You can insist on using PayPal). It was easy to follow the package and customs was identical as a purchase from the US. The packaging is bullit proof!

I use the Quest on my stove under the Hood vent and I made a carboard chimney to direct the air to the vent.

I would purchase again notwithstanding a commercial roaster (I would be trown out in a heart beat!

I also order from SM. Come over and look at it...

happycat (original poster)

#3: Post by happycat (original poster) »

Update:

In respect of payment & fees:

- if you ask for Paypal, the manufacturer will tack on a % to cover the fees - this would've been $64 or so
- if you go to the bank for a wire transfer, in my case, it would've been a similar fee
- if you make a wire transfer through online banking you could save a lot -- for me it was around $13
LMWDP #603

AndreG
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by AndreG »

Things to consider:
1. The bank teller asked to sign a release that the bank is not responsible if it goes wrong. The bank did in fact make an error and it took two weeks to sort it out. The money was in limbo. The Korean bank did not want to release it and the Canadian bank could not assist till it came back but not in my bank account... They spoked and it was sorted out. I was Lucky, the bank teller admitted her error. I was not changed the second time round when the funds where made available and it went quite well.

2. YES! I did use PayPal services when I ordered spare parts and I was happy to pay the fees and have PayPal's conver my back.

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

I bought mine from Molly using a wire transfer of the money many years ago, as did many others before SM carried it. I am not aware of anyone getting cheated. In fact, my experience, which included replacing defective heaters, was rather the opposite, with them shipping express and overfulfillng their obligations. If they can ship it to you in Canada, you can be pay them ahead with confidence.
Jim Schulman

#6: Post by happycat (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your help.

I ordered last week and the $ arrived at Quest on Monday after a couple business days. I have a kitchen cart from ebay, Erics thermocouple kit, a Phidget, Artisan, a can of black high heat paint... Just waiting for the roaster and scott rao's book.

:)
LMWDP #603

#7: Post by happycat (original poster) »

Quick update

My Quest came pretty fast. I picked it up at Canada Post and paid the PST/GST + $10 handling fee. No duties. Taxes were assessed based on declared value in Taiwan $$ rather than US$$ so I actually saved a bit.

As others mentioned, the roaster is very well boxed. It didn't come with any instructions, but I assembled it easily based on what I have read here and elsewhere. I also painted the drum with BBQ black paint, installed EricS thermocouples and hooked it up to a Phidget and my laptop using Artisan.

I roasted the first night and although my roast was slow, the espresso this morning was crazy sweet.

I ran it near my patio doors cracked open (it's getting cold up here so exhaust will be sucked out), but as I do medium roasts, I just enjoyed the amazing aromas and never had any smoke.

I love this little machine-- paired with Artisan where I could drop my beans based on BT, it was way more fun than roasting with a popper.
LMWDP #603