I've Got Gas- San Franciscan Sample Roaster

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SAS
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by SAS »

:P

Just arrived yesterday afternoon; a ten year old San Franciscan Sample Roaster. Found on Craig's List in Florida (not the $7,200 one) and was shipped to Seattle where it originally lived. I made new knobs since they were AWOL.; for the dump door and bean cooler air adjuster. I made a longer trier as the original one was a bit short and had plier marks on it from it getting stuck sometime in the past. I wire-brushed the metal of the trier as it had a big build-up of baked on coffee stuff. Maybe that is why it stuck.

It was a bit dirty inside so I cleaned it up and found a missing screw to a cover.

Today: Over to Lowes for regulator and hose for the new propane tank valve configuration. It still has the old style hose and connector.
Make a fitting that will go from the square exhaust vent on the cyclone to dryer vent pipe.

Find a strong friend to help lift it up to my cart. Sorry Quest you'll have to stand down for a while.

Future: Get two additional thermacouples hooked up. Dive into the Omega that controls something, (I don't know what yet, maybe flame/ max temp) and see what data I can take off of it, if any. Get Artisan working with the roaster.

Then roast, roast, roast.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

:mrgreen: x500
LMWDP #198

Jasonmck

#3: Post by Jasonmck »

Sweet. excited to see the progress keep the posts coming

UseIt4Toddy

#4: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

Congrats, Moshe! These are such great roasters. Really looking forward to hearing about your initial roast. Enjoy!

farmroast

#5: Post by farmroast »

Beautiful.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

aaronotb

#6: Post by aaronotb »

Wow, what a find! By all means let us know how your restoration and then roasting goes!

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#7: Post by cimarronEric »

That looks like fun!
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

boar_d_laze

#8: Post by boar_d_laze »

Moshe,

Mazel tov!

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JavaMD »

Great Find Moshe ... You are hitting your stride now!
May have to venture up north to see it.

Steve

SAS (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by SAS (original poster) »

You are hitting your stride now!
I'm not so sure. I think I have to start climbing the curve again. This roaster's drum is perforated in the rear. Serious airflow. But I hope to see a quicker Ramp to First Crack with it and a more controlled Development Phase. I am not always able to control the Quest like I plan.

I bought 20 pounds of a cheap bean ($2.25/# really ain't that cheap) to get a feel for the roaster before I blow some of my more high end stash in it.

Are there any SF-1 owners out there? I did contact Shaun who was very encouraging and very happy with his.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.