I can source coffee greens in my town, should I?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Unrooted

#1: Post by Unrooted »

I just today received my popper and 8 lbs of beans from Sweet Maria's and have roasted around 1/2 lb, I have a while before I'll be in need of more coffee, but someone I know told me that this coffee roaster sells green beans. I have no idea how to evaluate quality beans, and I know I can always try them out, but how do you decide where you get beans from? What should I look for. I have always preferred light-medium roasted coffee for pour over or Aeropress, and I can't afford an espresso machine for a few more months...

http://www.mtwhitneycoffee.com/mm5/merc ... e_Code=mtw

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

They seem expensive. I'd recommend going with reputable green dealers. You'll pay around the same even with shipping.

Advertisement
Unrooted (original poster)

#3: Post by Unrooted (original poster) »

Cool, thanks!

day

#4: Post by day »

Online dealers are excellent but I recommend visiting, who knows, maybe you could build some relationships, or have the opportunity to try some greens professionally roasted and buy the green- which can help a lot.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

edtbjon

#5: Post by edtbjon »

If I could find a roastery nearby I woiuldn't hesitate. Given the number of beans etc it's a fair assumption that this is what he roasts for his customers too. Given that, If he's any good at roasting, you can assume that the greens are good too. It's also possible that you can get quite a few tips from him if you visit the roastery.
On the other hand, it may just be a nice website with somewhat inferior products. In that case all you've lost is a little time and a little money.
Evaluating greens... It's hard to tell what the roasted coffee will taste like by examining the green beans, but you can check for the number of defects etc. I've started to "sample roast" and cup these samples looking for defects in the taste. If you buy 1 lb bags, you can do that yourself, very light roasting at the minimal charge your roaster can do and then check these sample roasts.

turtle

#6: Post by turtle »

I have the runner up for roast magazine's roaster of the year here in town

Do I source green from them?

You betcha......
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee