Huky espresso profiles

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GregR

#1: Post by GregR »

If anyone is feeling generous and would like to share successful espresso roast profiles please do- it helps enormously to see what other people are doing to get good results. Hands-on experience is ultimately the best way to learn but I get in a rut easily and trying to emulate what other roasters are doing has always proven to be enlightening. Anyone know of any kind of repository for roast profiles?
I haven't had a lot of time to roast lately so I've been doing pre-roast blending as a shortcut and in the last few attempts the results have been been surprisingly good. Using Brazilian beans as a base, with varying amounts of Central American and Kenyan beans the profile looks like this:

cygnusx1

#2: Post by cygnusx1 »

Hi Greg

I don't have any graphs to upload at the moment but mine seem similar to yours. I do 1/2 pound charges at around 300F and try to get back to 300F by 4:30-5:00 minutes. My FC is around 9:00 minutes and I drop around 415ishF.

Actually if I had any graphs I'd be embarrassed to post them because I don't get smooth lines and I've been too busy the last 6 months to troubleshoot it.

LDT

#3: Post by LDT »

Greg, I'll send you some the first part of next week. I'm out of town at the moment.

keno

#4: Post by keno »

Here is a profile from a washed Guatamalan I recently roasted. I'm using the solid drum, 72 rpm motor, IR stove, and stock regulator. Charge weight was 260 grams.

My general approach is to set the gas on 2 kPa with moderate air until the roaster warms up to 400F. Then I dial it down a little and increase the air to cool it down to my charge temp. In this case I charged at 380F. I then adjust the gas so that my MET climbs very slowly (I usually want to reach about 450F around FC) and my air is very low. At this point I just sit back and let the whole thing go until about 20-30 degrees before FC when I dial the gas down a little. As FC starts I dial the gas down some more and increase the air. I keep dialing down the gas through FC until I'm around 0.5 kPa and keep it there. Finished this roast around 420F and had about 15% weight loss.

With the exception of the slight flattening of the RoR just before FC I think this corresponds pretty well to Rao's roast recommendations so it will be interesting to see how it tastes.

kellzey

#5: Post by kellzey »

Subscribed!

Ordered a Huky today. Solid drum and 72rpm motor. I'm having him install the MET sensor as well.

I'll use dual Amprobes and Artisan to track.

keno

#6: Post by keno replying to kellzey »

Congrats Karl! Enjoy the Huky. Let us know if you have any questions as you are getting set up.

Question: How many TCs will you have altogether? Two or three? My machine has BT and MET thermocouples installed and an analog ET probe. With two TCs I can run off a single TMD-56.

bean2friends

#7: Post by bean2friends »

The profiles shown in this thread show a fairly constant ET thruout the roasts. This caught my attention because mine always show a continually rising ET that's really a leading indicator of the BT. Moreover, my ET doesn't tend to show as hot as the others posted here. I'll post a profile of one of my roasts below. What do you suppose is the reason? My theory is that I'm roasting with the perforated drum, the stock infrared stove, and the slower motor. But, I'm thinking it's the difference between the perforated and solid drums we're seeing. This kind of curve, where the ET is a leading indicator of the BT is also typical of my experience with the RK drum - also a perforated drum.

kellzey

#8: Post by kellzey »

I'll have three thermocouples. I bought two Amprobes T-56s, and you can hook up both to Artisan using the second as an additional device.

I'll try using Mr. Li's infrared stove with LPG hookup first. I generally roast 340 gram batches (12 ounces).

I bought the extra tray and fan too.

I roast outside in our outdoor kitchen, so I didn't need the exhaust tray with duct.

keno

#9: Post by keno »

bean2friends wrote:The profiles shown in this thread show a fairly constant ET thruout the roasts. This caught my attention because mine always show a continually rising ET that's really a leading indicator of the BT. Moreover, my ET doesn't tend to show as hot as the others posted here.
My guess is that it's because you have the BT and ET probes hooked up whereas most others including me are using BT and MET probes. This would explain why your ET follows the BT and why it's not as hot as others.

See the picture below. The BT probe is below the trier. The MET probe is above and to the right of the exhaust/charge tube (outside the drum). The ET probe would be where the center of the analog thermometer on my machine is.

Contrabass_Bry

#10: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Greg,

I can't provide an espresso profile, per se. Though it looks like your
roasts at a similar level, I have only worked with SO espresso, not blends.

Here is what has been tripping my trigger lately. Not sure If you are into naturals, but

or

sometimes combined make for a nice double risretto...