Huky 500 Crushing Beans

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jerry43

#1: Post by Jerry43 »

I tried roasting a 250 gram batch of large Sumatra beans yesterday for the first time. The Huky has some clearance issues between the trier and the vanes it seems. The trier is jumping around and at times the motor almost stalls. Anyone notice issues like that?

I'll have to take it apart to see what is going in there.

summer

#2: Post by summer »

I see the trier 'dancing' a bit from time to time, but nothing that interfere with the turning of the drum or motor. The largest bean I've tried was a Kenya Elephant, batches of 250g. No problem.
My Huky was supplied with the new trier mod (Huky #302).

LDT

#3: Post by LDT »

First, I try to leave the trier turned upside down unless I want to examine the beans. Doing so may reduce interference between the vanes and the trier. What I have noticed, is some random clunking noises coming from the roaster, but it does not happen all the time and the drum has never stopped rotating, even momentarily. I will now pay more attention to bean size to see if it occurs with large or small beans. Thanks for the post.

Jerry43 (original poster)

#4: Post by Jerry43 (original poster) »

This is with the new trier and turned upside down. I can hold the handle and feel it has quite a bit of pressure against it at times. With average to small beans it wiggles a bit but no change in motor speed like I got from the big ones. Tonight I will investigate it further.

cygnusx1

#5: Post by cygnusx1 »

I've noticed the same in mine as well. It looks like this is a reoccurring issue with the newer tryer. Does anyone with the old tryer have the same problem?
LDT wrote:First, I try to leave the trier turned upside down unless I want to examine the beans. Doing so may reduce interference between the vanes and the trier.

I've done this to help reduce the incidence but it doesn't eliminate it all together. I'm wondering if pulling the tryer part way out would help?

Maybe I'll take a short video of it and email Kuanho and see if me has a fix or suggestion. Other than this, no issues.

Kfir

#6: Post by Kfir »

cygnusx1 wrote:Does anyone with the old tryer have the same problem?
No and even after upgrading it to the new one (although I did install it in a 10 degree angle pointing down).
During the roast I notice it wiggles a bit but nothing close to what Jerry describes.

Maybe the drum is too close to the front plate ?

It's possible to push it back a bit, the ceramic bearing in front plate that holds the drum can be pushed a couple of mm back by just by pushing it with you finger.

Kfir.

H@R

#7: Post by H@R »

I didn't know there are a "new" and "old" trier. If somebody can post a picture of them for comparison, i would appreciate.

I have #319 so it is a new trier.
There is a little interference between the trier and vanes without beans. It changes a little according the angular position of the trier. Normal position, no problem, no interference. Upside down, little noise. At 90°, no noise.
If a pull a little the trier (1 or 2mm), it is OK.

I have never stopped the motor nor crushed beans. I will investigate further...

cygnusx1

#8: Post by cygnusx1 »

I roasted a batch last night. I found that when the tryer is only about half way engaged it didn't have the issue. I usually roast 1/2lb batches. It seems like a ridiculous fix for this but it seemed to work.

#9: Post by Jerry43 (original poster) »

I couldn't find any clearance issues with the trier and the vanes. The end of the trier is so close to the vane that a bean can't wedge at that point. However the decreasing angle of the vane to the trier may at times allow a few beans to act as a wedge momentarily enough to cause a noticeable change in the torque forces upon the motor. I will try pulling back the trier a little. I'll add a spacer and try that when I roast again.

The only difference I see inside the drum is that one of the smaller vanes is bent closer to the main vane than the others by maybe 3/8th inch. Don't see how that would a make a difference.

Odd that it just showed up after a few months of roasting no problem and when I switched beans.

#10: Post by Jerry43 (original poster) »

Just to finish this thread off. I straightened out the bent stirring vane and have the trier pulled back about to just where the tiny spring clip engages the housing. The broken up beans and the jumping trier are gone now. Have run various sized beans through it over the last two weeks.