Huky 500 simple air flow mod

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

Have been roasting with the Huky 500 for about a year and a half now with a simple fan control installed to control airflow. However I have recently come to the conclusion that this is not nearly as effective as it could be because the chaff collector is poorly sealed. There is a big gap below the trim plate where the fan guard mounts that allows significant air seepage. And there is also significant air seepage between the funnel and screen.

So my idea was to better seal around the chaff collector using some weatherstripping. I picked up the following for around $6 from Lowes.

I mounted it directly on the top and bottom surface of the trim ring and reassembled the chaff collector. Now the system is much better sealed.

You can see the difference with the cooling tray (which still has a gap) in this photo.

The result has been much better control of the airflow with the fan speed control instead of just the illusion of control. And the exhaust from the roaster now goes outside through the vent instead of espcaping into the room. Here is a profile from a coffee I just roasted this morning.

edtbjon

#2: Post by edtbjon »

Well, that is much more cleanable and maintainable than the silicone sealant I used when I tried to address that issue. I.e. I just added this little life-hack mod to my bucket list. :)