HUKY 500 Q and A - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
edtbjon

#81: Post by edtbjon »

... and I will just have to wait for that time to get the exhaust pipe that I wanted in the first place.... Nevermind, the Huky is a really great roaster and I do enjoy learning to roast with it while it's still in development.
The only thing that bothers me at the moment is that beans still get trapped during different stages of the roast and drop out at drop time, very undeveloped. (I was specific about getting a 10deg tryer tube... and I take it the exhaust pipe is at an angle too, as the little oval plate is welded into the beginning of the exhaust pipe.) Not a lot of beans, but a dozen or so...

bean2friends

#82: Post by bean2friends »

I get the trapped beans too, but I've limited that problem by blowing into the tube right after I load the beans and again right at 1cs and again when I drop the roast. Give it a try.

kellzey

#83: Post by kellzey »

I got a bean somewhere between the drum and housing or near the motor while roasting yesterday. Caused the motor to strain and the drum to thump quite a bit. The beans were smaller than normal.

I'm not even sure HOW to take this think apart... which screws to remove to access the internals?

akiley

#84: Post by akiley replying to kellzey »

I just recieved Huky s/n 540 today. Did two roasts. Had the same problem with motor slowing. I also ended up with roughly a dozen beans in the tray under the burner. How do they get there? (I have perforated drum and stock IR burner) I read a thread about adjusting the drum clearance, but can't find it now.

Don't want to hijack but have a few questions.
1. I didn't get a manual. Did anyone else get one?
2. what is the syringe of oil for?
3. how to use the louver (shutter)
4. wouldn't the rubber feet melt while roasting? I removed mine.

Did the fan calibration with an annemometer.

Made a 1-100 percent scale over the gas flow gauge. Simple solution, should be accurate enough. Used a cheap cirlce cutter.

Love this roaster so far. Using BluTherm to iPad running Roastmaster. Only two inputs though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fghjmsbc9pw4 ... M.jpg?dl=0

edtbjon

#85: Post by edtbjon »

First, taking the Huky apart... Remove the ten screws (Hex-head) that holds the hood. They are at the front and back perimeter of the hood. Then lift off the hood. Now you should see that the machine is held together with four 6mm rods and two 4mm rods. On the back of the machine you just take off the nuts and the back will come off. Then you can take out the drum.

Manual? No, not really. There was a log book, but most of us hook it up to a computer anyhow. I learnt everything about the roaster on this forum.
The syringe with grease is for the front bearing. Add a drop or two every 50 roasts or so. (That info was provided by Mr. Li somewhere...)
The rubber feet works nice with the IR burner. I've used this setup for a while now and there is no indication that the feet will melt or burn.
I have a solid drum so I cannot tell you about the louvre, but there is plenty of info in this forum. Look for posts and answers by user KFir, as he has lots of experience with the Huky and a perforated drum.

TerminusCoffee

#86: Post by TerminusCoffee »

Has anyone had to replace the thermocouple lead on their Huky yet? Either mine is going bad or both of my Anprobes just got very picky about how the cable sits.

edit: Got it all taken apart. Anyone know the exact replacement? Not sure that this is it, however. I'll be ordering a different thermometer to deduce the errors I'm getting.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by hankua replying to TerminusCoffee »

I'm using Fluke 54II for BT and ET, and they're spot on. I would check the terminals, and switch positions on the meter. Then order some new thermocouples from Mr. Li and see if that resolves the problem. It could also be an issue with the Amprobe meter setup.

TerminusCoffee

#88: Post by TerminusCoffee »

I may just end up getting a different thermometer off Amazon. Also found the correctly sized probe on there. I will do a how-to if people are interested. Completely took apart the roaster. :)

See image here.

Restrepo

#89: Post by Restrepo »

johnny4lsu wrote:I can try to measure later.. I'd say it's 2-3" to be completely out of the way. <image>
I was actually wondering the same thing. Do you mean 2-3" in addition to the length of the standard exhaust pipe length that puts the fan on the corner of the roaster, or that just generally a 2-3" length of pipe[for the section parallel to the table] would be enough on its own to successfully position it on the side of the roaster?

Also, what are your all's thoughts on the new exhaust configuration that is due out in a few months? I'm not sure I like it. It looks like it was designed to give people the ability to add on a cyclone without buying an extra custom exhaust pipe, but the design seems like an over simplification that could cause problems such as when dropping charge.

TerminusCoffee

#90: Post by TerminusCoffee »

Restrepo wrote: Also, what are your all's thoughts on the new exhaust configuration that is due out in a few months? I'm not sure I like it. It looks like it was designed to give people the ability to add on a cyclone without buying an extra custom exhaust pipe, but the design seems like an over simplification that could cause problems such as when dropping charge.
Where have you seen the new configuration?