HUKY 500 Q and A - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hankua
Supporter ♡

#71: Post by hankua »

Great choices, I might need an upgrade from my cheap dimmer.

Second piece to this great mod is to calibrate your fan control with an anemometer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261297733579

Restrepo

#72: Post by Restrepo »

I'm about to order my Huky within the next few days and have a few questions that Kuanho didn't really answer for me:
1. Would you all recommend the Phidget over the Center309 4-input thermometer for use/integration with Artisan?
2. I'd like to eventually add a cyclone. I am planning on asking for the standard J-pipe(which hopefully will turn out to be the 3rd version which positions the fan on the left side, not just the corner!). However, I am also planning on ordering an extra exhaust fitting for use with a cyclone. How have you all with the cyclone systems went about specifying/ordering the 90degree exhaust pipe that would work with a cyclone system? Any pictures/measurements that I should include to Mr. Li ?
3. On the cyclone topic, the $129 *bay one that Susan uses seems to be sold out and has been replaced by a larger, significantly more expensive level II system. Would a Oneida Air Systems Axd001002 Metal Cyclone from Ace Hardware work, or can I get by with a cheaper plastic version? I've heard about some people ordering ones from China, but didn't couldn't find to much on alibaba, perhaps a kind soul could PM me with a link :wink: .
4. For those with the 10degree trier mod, would you still recommend this? I figure if it will help and won't cost me anything, I might as well ask for it while I can still get it!
5. Propane vs. Butane? Also, is there any extra equipment such as tubing that is needed but not sent to hook the IR burner up to a standard tank?

Thanks!

Advertisement
edtbjon

#73: Post by edtbjon »

I use a Phidget 1048 with my 3 TC's. I don't know if the 309 is supported in Artisan, but that is easy to check. The Phidget works flawlessly.
For claritys sake, attach a picture (ripped from this forum...) to the email on what you need. I did that to make sure when I noted that mr. Li didn't understand.
I ordered a cyclone from alibaba. I'll come back to you with a link for that.
I also specified (with attached pic) the 10 deg. trier mod. No problems.

I don't know how much difference there is in heat output between butane and propane. Here in Sweden it's a mixture of both (for a lower freezing point...). But everything but the regulator was included.

looking_afar

#74: Post by looking_afar »

Restrepo wrote:I'm about to order my Huky within the next few days and have a few questions that Kuanho didn't really answer for me:
1. Would you all recommend the Phidget over the Center309 4-input thermometer for use/integration with Artisan?
2. I'd like to eventually add a cyclone. I am planning on asking for the standard J-pipe(which hopefully will turn out to be the 3rd version which positions the fan on the left side, not just the corner!). However, I am also planning on ordering an extra exhaust fitting for use with a cyclone. How have you all with the cyclone systems went about specifying/ordering the 90degree exhaust pipe that would work with a cyclone system? Any pictures/measurements that I should include to Mr. Li ?
3. On the cyclone topic, the $129 *bay one that Susan uses seems to be sold out and has been replaced by a larger, significantly more expensive level II system. Would a Oneida Air Systems Axd001002 Metal Cyclone from Ace Hardware work, or can I get by with a cheaper plastic version? I've heard about some people ordering ones from China, but didn't couldn't find to much on alibaba, perhaps a kind soul could PM me with a link :wink: .
4. For those with the 10degree trier mod, would you still recommend this? I figure if it will help and won't cost me anything, I might as well ask for it while I can still get it!
5. Propane vs. Butane? Also, is there any extra equipment such as tubing that is needed but not sent to hook the IR burner up to a standard tank?

Thanks!
Actually, there is another new version of the exhaust pipe you can order. It looks like this

So, if you find some heat-resistant 1.5 inch duct, you could place the fan anywhere you like. But even though there is a shutter at the top of the pipe (for loading beans) to be closed during roasting, obviously some hot air from the roaster still leaks through the shutter, so you would either need to have the fan working almost all the time, or get thermal silicone and glue all the holes in the shutter.

edtbjon

#75: Post by edtbjon »

Now, why didn't I see that one... :) Does it come with a price tag?
About the shutter, a small leakage doesn't matter in the beginning of the roast, as there isn't much smoke anyhow. But later on it needs to be rather tight, especially if connected to a cyclone, as the cyclone needs decent negative pressure in order to work properly.

Restrepo

#76: Post by Restrepo »

Funky looking. Is that something you asked for custom? I emailed Kuanho on Monday and he didn't include any information on the new configuration. However I might just ask for the old one as it looks like it would extend further away from the roaster.

johnny4lsu

#77: Post by johnny4lsu »

Be advised that while the new configuration does extend farther, it could still be 3 or so inches longer to allow the fan to sit completely out of the way and on the left side. I'm working with him to custom make me a J diversion pipe that extends more.

Advertisement
dynamiteid

#78: Post by dynamiteid »

Hi. I am getting ready to order a huky, and I also want the vent pipe extension that allows the exhaust fan and screen to sit completely to the side of the roaster. Do you have the length dimension to specify? It seems that just a slight increase from the length shown in this picture would do the trick. I just want to know what length to specify. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

johnny4lsu

#79: Post by johnny4lsu »

I can try to measure later.. I'd say it's 2-3" to be completely out of the way.

johnny4lsu

#80: Post by johnny4lsu »

dynamiteid wrote:Hi. I am getting ready to order a huky, and I also want the vent pipe extension that allows the exhaust fan and screen to sit completely to the side of the roaster. Do you have the length dimension to specify? It seems that just a slight increase from the length shown in this picture would do the trick. I just want to know what length to specify. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<image>

Thanks,
Dave
Mr. Li sent me the following email this morning:

Hi Johnny,

I'm now testing the new version as the attached picture,
I would recommend to wait for the new version instead of buying the extended pipe now,
the new version would be much better.
Please wait 1~2 month.

Best regards,

Kuanho Li