Huky 500 owners - What's your serial number? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LDT

#21: Post by LDT »

Thanks! :D

tucktuck

#22: Post by tucktuck »

268 with 46 lbs roasted checking in!

Advertisement
az erik

#23: Post by az erik »

394 just landed yesterday in AZ

LDT

#24: Post by LDT »

Erik,

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I sure do! Some say it's "kludged" with all the various parts, which is true, but I find it very easy to maintain and it does a really good job roasting coffee. I notice your heat source is different than mine. Did you get it from Mr. Li? If not, who makes it and what are the are the specifications? Thanks.

Contrabass_Bry

#25: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Here is number 355:

I use a Cajun Cooker hooked up to an LPG tank. Attached to laptop running Artisan via Phidget 1048:

Quite the step-up from my old BM/HG setup. Still getting the hang of control, but so far, very happy!

Here is a graph of my roast this morning:

cygnusx1 (original poster)

#26: Post by cygnusx1 (original poster) »

Nice profile Bryan. Looks similar to mine except mine isn't as smooth a graph. I'm using Arduino/TC4. I'm also thinking of trying my turkey fryer stove instead of the stock LPG stove from Kuanho.

Contrabass_Bry

#27: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Thanks, Steve.

I think the smoothness comes from the rather thick-walled probes I use.
In the "extras" within Artisan, I only have a smoothing factor of "1" on my BT/ET and a factor of "2" for the deltas. Settings for sampling are: 3sec and added oversampling. That way I don't lose any pertinent data and get updates of the ROR trajectory as the roast progresses. Outstanding program, that Artisan...

Regarding the stove, I'd say give it a try. The common feedback regarding the difference between the heat sources is that the open burner will heat the drum AND surrounding air (for good convection) whereas the IR burners manage to heat the drum, primarily.

You've got one, what is there to lose?!?

Advertisement
Jasonmck

#28: Post by Jasonmck »

Just pulled the trigger on a Huky 500 today.

Will let you know what my Serial number is when I get it.

Quick question. With the IR stove does it connect to North American Propane tank?
or is it more like the camping stove fuel

LDT

#29: Post by LDT »

When I got mine I bought a 20 pound tank from Lowe's and the regulator Mr. Li provided (with the normal left hand threads) connected with no problems. I was advised to make sure the connection was well seated because of some reports of leaks, so I also bought some leak detection solution which I use frequently. I have had no leaks.

Dngilb

#30: Post by Dngilb »

I've now got 5 roasts through my Huky Serial No. 398!

Question for Contrabass_Bry:
1. The Cajun Cooker burner... what made you want to ditch the IR burner?
2. My ET seems to be running well below the BT most of the roast, this is very opposite of what I see most places... too much ventilation? a product of using the IR burner? product of preheating too quickly? Maybe I need to calibrate my Center 301?

Question for any Huky Roaster:
some beans come out of the roaster VERY much under roasted. I charge the drum and look down the chute and see that it is clear of all green beans. So, I'm hypothesizing that the fan sucks some up into the chute. (though I put a rheostat to decrease fan speed)... I have turned my sampler upside down so its not catching and holding beans. What other possibilities are left??? So far, I've dumped all my beans on a counter and pick through and get about a few quite unroasted beans (looks like they were dumped at 170 Celsius, plus a dozen less roasted beans look like 200C. Hmm....