Huky 500 owners - What's your serial number? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
thepeoplesroast

#11: Post by thepeoplesroast »

I just bought the Huky this November. #254!

Quick questions:

1). Is there a Huky group I can join? How do I join the group if so? (I'm new to Home-Barista and am not sure how to go about joining a group.

2). What is everyone's thoughts and experience about safety using the IR burner (purchased from Kuanho) indoors. I have asked some in personal messages, but am wondering about using the propane burner in my basement. I want to make sure that safety is priority #1...

jamoke

#12: Post by jamoke »

Thomas-
As far as I know there is no Huky group here, but there are several threads started by Huky users that are useful. (Just search "Huky" in the roasting forum) As for burner safety, a CO monitor is probably a good idea, especially if you have a newer home with a tight basement. For fire safety, I would recommend a non- combustible table or countertop, such as tile or enameled steel. Mine is temporarily set up on a clothes dryer. I don't know the specifics of that IR burner because I am using a different single burner propane open flame stove.

Ed
Ed Bugel
LMWDP 122
Huky #297

Advertisement
thepeoplesroast

#13: Post by thepeoplesroast »

Thanks Ed,

I decided to roast in my garage due to both my own concerns and those of my wife. Also, the Huky gives off a decent amount of smoke during the roast, more than I want in the house even if I have decent ventilation.

I love the Huky so far. I roasted 8 batches on Saturday (my first day of roasting) and am very happy about the roaster's performance.

I appreciate the willingness of folks to share their experiences and knowledge on the forums here.

-Tom

beanbrain

#14: Post by beanbrain »

I have had #321 for about a month. If that # reflects how many have been sold, gross sales have to be somewhere north of $400,000. Not bad. 8)

draino

#15: Post by draino »

So much more control than the RK Drum, though I miss the larger capacity big time. A one kilo roaster would be about perfect.

cygnusx1 (original poster)

#16: Post by cygnusx1 (original poster) »

beanbrain wrote:I have had #321 for about a month. If that # reflects how many have been sold, gross sales have to be somewhere north of $400,000. Not bad. 8)
you betcha... from mine to yours makes about 27 in 2 months... if it truly is just Kuanho and maybe couple others, that's a nice little niche he has for himself...

Jettbot

#17: Post by Jettbot »

Just took receipt of #350

Ordered with both drums, met & bt probe as well as the built-in analog one and the infrared stove. But don't have the gas plumbing sorted out yet so am using a different picnic portable stove for next day or so.

Plan on using my pro line stovetop range when that gets setup later similar to the one discussed in the review here. Have a Center 304 quad input but struggling to get 3rd & 4th channel data into Artisan. Also want to figure out how I can manually record gas pressure readings in Artisan from Kuanho's gas gauge so I can quantify as many variables as possible until I get the hang of this and develop a knack for consistency.

Have about 40 lbs of various greens from Klatch to get me started and have done a little bit of training with Mike. But as I live in Thailand, I'm going to visit a bunch of plantations in Northern Thailand (Akha Ama, Doi Chaang) as well as Bolaven plains in Laos and secret areas of Myanmar for sourcing as I research some new development possibilities.

Well and truly excited, this roaster seems like it's going to keep me happy for quite a while.

Kuanho Li is doing great work

Advertisement
blu

#18: Post by blu »

Hello together,

here comes number 174:

cheers
blu

LDT

#19: Post by LDT »

I know it's a busy photo with a lot of background distraction, but here is my setup. Huky 500 #289. Actually, things have changed a bit - the Amprobe has been replace by a Phidgit 1048 so there a little more workspace in front of the machine.

And if your interested, a photo of the cardboard washer I made to push the drum as close as possible to the front of the roaster without rubbing. Doing this has eliminated all beans dropping down to the burner area. Only chaff falls through.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#20: Post by cannonfodder »

That is a serious router table.
Dave Stephens