Huky 500 gas options indoors

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
thepilgrimsdream

#1: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

I live in a second story apartment, we have an electric stove and no gas line. I do not feel comfortable and don't know if it's legal to store a propane tank in an apartment.

How do you huky users use it. Are there any options I should consider or just pull the trigger on the quest m3?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Laws prohibiting storage of propane indoors apply specifically to industrial users, not residential, but there's plenty of common sense that would suggest you not, regardless of the legality. It likely varies by state, and the regulations are complex. There's dozens of considerations that you'll have to rank in order of importance to better determine which is the best fit for you, but if this is the main one, or the full-stop, then yeah get a Quest.

I would focus on the proper ventilation during roasting just as closely as the storage of the cylinder. The former is easier than the later. A mishap with the former can harm you; a mishap with the later could harm many, many more. But it's rarely reported.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

thepilgrimsdream (original poster)

#3: Post by thepilgrimsdream (original poster) »

I would much prefer to do slightly larger batch size so I could roast easier for family and friends.

I am just trying to figure out practicality along with safety. Would a 4.25lbs tank or butane canisters be a good option?

Without a gas line. Is there any practical options?

edtbjon

#4: Post by edtbjon »

Your decision and storage amounts depends upon local (or US) legislation. But that is based upon common sense, much of what TomC advocates. (He's written an excellent post on how to use gas, connect gas lines etc. I think it's in the FAQ post on top of the Home Roasting listing.
I just started out here in Sweden, where legislation is quite stiff too. In my apartment I'm allowed to store one 2kg tank (roughly 5#). But I can store some 12-15kg on my open balcony. (Sometimes balconys are glassed, to make an extra room useable almost all of the year, in which case I cannot store any gas there...) So, what I do is to always store my gas tank(s) on my balcony and only take it inside when I start up my Huky.
The idea of allowing store of larger amounts on the balcony is that it's not a closed room, so even if all the gas leaks out of the cylinder, it will simply disappear into the open air. If a cylinder leaks out inside your kitchen it may eventually mix into a combustable air/gas mix... boom. So when I connect my tank to the roaster I always use a leakage spray to check for leaks. (Soapy water does the trick as well.)
Also see to that you have access to open air (i.e. open up a window) where you roast. You'll probably want to went out the smoke anyhow, e.g. through an exhaust pipe.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by hankua »

You can use the stock stove, butane option with the vent bowl/hood piped out a window.
Plenty of info using the search option: Huky butane

thepilgrimsdream (original poster)

#6: Post by thepilgrimsdream (original poster) »

I talked it over with my wife. We have a small apartment and a small puppy and we don't want to deal with so much venting in the cold of winter coming. Hopefully I'll have purchased the Quest by the end of the week. If this goes well, maybe we'll get the mill city 1k electric in the next year or so.

Thanks guys!

edtbjon

#7: Post by edtbjon »

You'll still need to vent out the smoke, either with a decently powerful fan (which could be your stove fan), or a more closed circuit system, i.e. via a duct out of your apartment thorugh an opening somewhere (e.g. a window).
The Quest is also an excellent machine, fully able to produce results in the same league as the Huky. But, it's not the form of energy you add to the beans that produces the smoke, it's the beans themselves. I.e. a halfpound batch produces the same amount of smoke regardless of which roaster you use. This was part of my decision too, as I'm only allowed to use a recirculating stove fan in my kitchen. The Huky exhaust bowl and a few feet of duct out the window (open about 3") seemed a good enough option to me

looking_afar

#8: Post by looking_afar »

edtbjon wrote:Your decision and storage amounts depends upon local (or US) legislation. But that is based upon common sense, much of what TomC advocates. (He's written an excellent post on how to use gas, connect gas lines etc. I think it's in the FAQ post on top of the Home Roasting listing.
I just started out here in Sweden, where legislation is quite stiff too. In my apartment I'm allowed to store one 2kg tank (roughly 5#). But I can store some 12-15kg on my open balcony. (Sometimes balconys are glassed, to make an extra room useable almost all of the year, in which case I cannot store any gas there...) So, what I do is to always store my gas tank(s) on my balcony and only take it inside when I start up my Huky.
The idea of allowing store of larger amounts on the balcony is that it's not a closed room, so even if all the gas leaks out of the cylinder, it will simply disappear into the open air. If a cylinder leaks out inside your kitchen it may eventually mix into a combustable air/gas mix... boom. So when I connect my tank to the roaster I always use a leakage spray to check for leaks. (Soapy water does the trick as well.)
Also see to that you have access to open air (i.e. open up a window) where you roast. You'll probably want to went out the smoke anyhow, e.g. through an exhaust pipe.
Be carefull with storing gas tanks on the balcony when it's cold in the street. There is some chance that when you get the tank inside and it becomes warm, the gas pressure inside will reach a critical point and the tank either explodes (if it does not have a safety valve) or the safety valve opens and the gas will run into your appartment. This usually happens when the tank was filled carelessly in a cold environment (without following proper safety rules regarding the gas pressure inside the tank).