Huky 500 butane stove options

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bean2friends

#1: Post by bean2friends »

I'm interested to know from those folks roasting on a Huky with an butane stove what their experience is? I've been using the stock infrared propane burner with the perforated drum and I have plenty of heat. But, I will be moving to the basement for cold weather and I would prefer to use a butane burner in the house. So, I'm trying to decide what stove to get. Options, as I see it now, are the open flame Iwatani stove (as I recall it's about 14000 btu) available on Amazon, or I could get the stock butane infrared stove from Mr. Li (I have been unable to find an infrared stove here in the U.S.).
So, are you using an open flame heat source? Which drum are you using? Any complaints?
Or, does anyone use the stock butane infrared stove with the solid drum? Are you satisfied with that? I'm confident it would work with the perforated drum, but I'd like a stove that would work with both drums.
Thanks,
DickC

chloelogy

#2: Post by chloelogy »

bean2friends wrote:So, are you using an open flame heat source? Which drum are you using? Any complaints?
Or, does anyone use the stock butane infrared stove with the solid drum? Are you satisfied with that? I'm confident it would work with the perforated drum, but I'd like a stove that would work with both drums.
hello
i am huky user.i have both drums and stoves.
my english level is not good.But i try to reply.

i have used a both iwatani butane stove and the stock butane infrared stove with the solid drum for six months.
Now i prefer iwatani stove.Because iwatani has enough power to convection heat!! and it has power to fast roast.
And i have also perforated drum, but i stopped use for its difficulty.

i have no complaints.But for its having no manometer,to adjust heat power is difficult a little.
Anyway,i reccomennd iwatani stove.

Advertisement
stuart1927

#3: Post by stuart1927 »

Hello...I have the stock burner from Mr Li and it works great. I have the perforated drum and both 48 and 72(?) Rpm motors. So far I've only used the slower motor and results have been great. I will try the faster motor at some stage just for comparison.

I find the stock burner to be very good.. Plenty of power and very cotrollable....no complaints!

I started off using the huky with my island top gas burner. It was difficult to control and I wasn't happy with the workflow. The Li burner is much better and I can roast outside.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

SJM

#4: Post by SJM »

I am also using the stock IR burner from Mr. Li and I'm wondering if anyone else gets a lot of smoldering chaff falling on the burner?

So far it hasn't escaped beyond the confines of the bottom of the stove, but it does seem a bit scary.

I ordered the exhaust pipe with a 90 degree turn so I could run it into a cyclone with the exhaust fan on top of that, which is not the stock/traditional set-up, but somehow I can't see that that would make it any different or worse.

bean2friends (original poster)

#5: Post by bean2friends (original poster) »

[quote="SJM"]I am also using the stock IR burner from Mr. Li and I'm wondering if anyone else gets a lot of smoldering chaff falling on the burner?
/quote]

It's not the shape of your exhaust pipe Susan. I have the stock exhaust pipe. The other day I did 5 roasts, 3 were 8 oz. roasts and 2 were 1 pounders. One of the small ones was a decaf. Still, I had quite a lot of chaff in the tray under the burner when finished. And, I do see the chaff flaring up on the burner.
(I'm glad to know you ordered the exhaust different than stock. I thought I was suffering from a failure of imagination. For the life of me I couldn't see how I could get my exhaust into a cyclone.)

DickC

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

bean2friends wrote: It's not the shape of your exhaust pipe Susan. I have the stock exhaust pipe. The other day I did 5 roasts, 3 were 8 oz. roasts and 2 were 1 pounders. One of the small ones was a decaf. Still, I had quite a lot of chaff in the tray under the burner when finished. And, I do see the chaff flaring up on the burner.
(I'm glad to know you ordered the exhaust different than stock. I thought I was suffering from a failure of imagination. For the life of me I couldn't see how I could get my exhaust into a cyclone.)

DickC
Well I'm both glad and sorry. Glad I'm not the only one. Sorry those chaff flares are happening for you too.
I guess I will play with trying to increase the fan to reduce it, which will probably require my increasing the gas to compensate....
At least it's not because I've done something completely wrong, which is reassuring. Thanks.

bean2friends (original poster)

#7: Post by bean2friends (original poster) »

I'm guessing the chaff flare ups are unique to the perforated drum, que no?

Advertisement
SJM

#8: Post by SJM »

Sounds right to me.
I think just for my peace of mind I will put something more fire resistant than the cutting board that I have under it now.

stuart1927

#9: Post by stuart1927 »

I must admit, I keep my grate closed with the perforated drum and always keep my fan on. I have a fan controller and set it to run at 10% for most of the time until nearer the end of the roast. This seems to prevent or at least minimize falling chaff.

Sbb

SJM

#10: Post by SJM replying to stuart1927 »

Oh my I forgot all about that grate :oops:
I will play with it today.
Thanks for the tip.

Susan