Huky 500, Artisan and Phidget set up question

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
thusband

#1: Post by thusband »

I just ordered my Huky and Phidget 1048. I have a laptop with the Artisan and the Phidget library installed. I'd like to get things as set up as possible so when it all arrives it'll be close to plug and play. I set up the Phidget in Artisan Config > Device for BT/ET and the extra MET but the tab for Phidgets has me confused. Do I need to make some selection there?

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

No.
The selection for MET is in the Extra Devices tab.
You use the pulldown menu to select Phidget 1048_34
Select whatever color you want the line to be (I use green for BT, so I use blue for MET)
And put' MET' in as Label 1

Advertisement
thusband (original poster)

#3: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear. I think I have MET set up correctly on Extra Devices per the screen shots on the Huky Forum. I was wondering about the Phidgets tab to the right. There's a check off for the 1048 but it has options for four hook ups. They're defaulted to K type which, I believe, is correct but there're other options too.

SJM

#4: Post by SJM »

You were clear and I tried to be clear as well.
You asked: Do I need to make some selection there?
I answered: No.

For what you are doing you do not need that fourth tab (the one that says Phidgets) at all.

thusband (original poster)

#5: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Got it. Thanks.

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

Excellent.
Artisan is fabulous.
It would be even more fabulous if there were more centralized and comprehensive documentation.
Until then (and without any complaint), we will continue ask and answer questions.
Thank you Marko !!!!

HK Reefer

#7: Post by HK Reefer »

Hi folks, I have also ordered a Huky500 with 3 probes for measuring BT, ET and MET and ordered the center304 logger for interfacing with my computer in which Artisan has been installed. Please advise or share the resources for setting up. Thanks. :D

Advertisement
rgrosz

#8: Post by rgrosz »

Have you checked at the Huky forum yet (or joined it)?
http://www.hukyforum.com/
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

SJM

#9: Post by SJM replying to rgrosz »

These articles are available for download there

vesteroid

#10: Post by vesteroid »

i'll throw in a small tidbit of advice.

If you have a center or comparable, unit, dont get too hung up using artisan for your first roast (5-10). You have so many things going on, that hitting all those events in artisan along with controlling the roaster can be overwhelming. I found it much better to just use my center until I got really comfortable with my huky, then I tried to dial in all things artisan could tell me.

I just used an espresso timer, or my iphone timer and the center for a while. In all honesty, I like that better even after I started using artisan.

Your mileage may vary, but its a lot going on until it becomes more or less second nature, and focusing on the beans, the smells, the colors, the sounds, were more informative to me than what was on the screen.