How to remove quest drum?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Italyhound »

Quick question:

I got the drum out of the roaster, attached to the front plate.

I want to season/sand the drum and it's not clear how to get the face plate off. There are 2 small hex screw heads on the BACK of the face plate, but how to access those is beyond me with a standard allen set.

Am I missing something? Do I just stick the entire drum/faceplate assembly in the oven??

Thanks for the help.

e

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

It's probably the centre shaft that is the issue for you. You need to undo the screw that attaches the faceplate to the centre shaft and then you should be able to take the drum off. I don't think that putting the whole assembly in the oven is a good idea!
LMWDP #602

UseIt4Toddy

#3: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

Should be an M3 bolt on front of the bearing. Remove this, and you can remove the nut from the faceplate. You'll love the mod. Took me far too long to get around to it. Cheers,

Italyhound (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Italyhound (original poster) »

I didn't think it was all oven-worthy.

I took the central hex nut off and I don't see anything else to remove from the front. That prompted the question.

kwantfm

#5: Post by kwantfm »

Weird... the faceplate should pull straight off!
LMWDP #602

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Italyhound (original poster) replying to kwantfm »

Nope. Doesn't budge. I don't want to force anything I'm not familiar with but it is going nowhere.

UseIt4Toddy

#7: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

Sorry to hear of the trouble. Now that I think about it, pulling my drum off required more effort than I was comfortable giving initially, and I did actually stop mid-way through the process and scan the forums again to see if I was missing something. A very light tap with a rubber mallet finally did the trick. Sounds like you're well beyond that point, so hopefully someone with a similar experience will chime in soon. Cheers,

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Italyhound (original poster) »

Someone messaged me to heat the outer ring while keeping the shaft and drum cool.

It popped out like butter.

Same thing happened with the set screw in the fan assembly.

Hope this tip helps someone in the future!

kwantfm

#9: Post by kwantfm »

Great news... enjoy the seasoned drum, it will change everything for you!
LMWDP #602

SAS
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by SAS »

With what and how will you be "seasoning" the drum?

I taped off both open ends with blue tape. Trimmed the tape to the outer edge of the drum and sprayed two coats of Hi-Temp flat black engine enamel paint.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.