How to measure the length of time of first crack

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pete51

#1: Post by pete51 »

Greetings to all,

I haven't been able to find the answer to this anywhere.

How do you measure the time of the first crack?

You hear the sound of the first bean cracking. A few seconds go by, then you hear another one, then they get faster and then there is no doubt.

Where in this process do you start timing? Same thing when it is ending.

A well known roaster was writing about roasting Ethiopia wet processed coffees. He said that you want to stretch the first crack to between 1:30 and 1:45. Thus, knowing how to accurately measure the time is important.

Many thanks in advance to those that help out.

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

Basically, the goal is to measure the length of time during which "typical" beans are undergoing FC. The more consistent and well-processed the green coffee you are using, the cleaner the boundaries will be on either side. With a bit of experience roasting a particular coffee in a particular roaster, you should start to get a sense of when you should be expecting it to enter and finish FC, in terms of both temperature and time. If a few stray beans pop quite a bit earlier than this, I wouldn't want to start the clock, because that would be misleading regarding what the bulk of the bean mass is doing. Similarly, a few stray pops well after the rest has finished should also be ignored.

Unfortunately, the boundary between a few stray pops and "first crack is getting started" can be blurry, especially when roasting more inconsistent coffees, so there is no crystal clear set of directions I can share on this. You just have to get used to your roaster, and develop a feel for it.
LMWDP #435

akiley

#3: Post by akiley »

pete51 wrote:Greetings to all,

I haven't been able to find the answer to this anywhere.

How do you measure the time of the first crack?

You hear the sound of the first bean cracking. A few seconds go by, then you hear another one, then they get faster and then there is no doubt.

Where in this process do you start timing? Same thing when it is ending.

A well known roaster was writing about roasting Ethiopia wet processed coffees. He said that you want to stretch the first crack to between 1:30 and 1:45. Thus, knowing how to accurately measure the time is important.

Many thanks in advance to those that help out.
For start of first crack, I've heard it said that you wait till 2 or more beans snap fairly close to each other. Maybe within 3 seconds or so. This is my practice as well.

As far as stretching first crack, most of us seem to end the roast after that development time. So stretching first crack 2 minutes, the end of that 2 minutes is also the roast end time.

That said, if you DO hit second crack and like your beens roasted to that level you learn where your roaster hits second crack. You note the bean temperature and take notes. From there you can back up and find the spot where first crack stopped, or was the slowest. For me first crack slows pretty gradually and it's difficult to really have a definite ending point. I look for the point that is slows substantially. Maybe a pop every 10 seconds.

I don't know if your Hottop has a bean temp probe, but that really is important to figuring this out. With my probed Hottop, I hit first crack at a bean temp of 395-400. I hit second crack about 440. But I usually end the roast between 415-430f. This is between 1:30 to 2:20 past the start of first crack. After lots of observation, it seems my average first crack ends about 420f. But temps can not be translated to other equipment. We each end up with our own unique temps where the milestones happen.

So after lots of observation, and lots of roasts from the same green stock, you figure out what taste balance you like and stop the roast at that point. You don't really have to know when first crack ends, you just repeat the profile and stop the roast at the same temp.

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

You have to establish sensory markers which are closely tied to the realities of bean behavior. Unfortunately, they'll still be somewhat arbitrary and you might find that they don't comport with someone's recipe as closely as you might like. There's no "right," measure. The best you can do is try and establish how closely what you're doing matches the guy's whose profile you're trying to learn.

I call 1stCs (first crack start) at the 6th crack; and 1stCe following 3secs without a crack, "back dating" the time by 3sec. Those rules written on tablets of stone by a flaming finger. You're free to work out your own markers.

The key to consistency is associating these sensorial markers with real time, accurate beab temperatures during a "milestone" roast, so you can use them (checking the temps as you do) every time you roast that bean afterwards.

The bean temperature RoR (rate of rise) at which you enter exothermia just before 1stC will do more to determine the length of 1stC than any adjustments you can make during 1stC; and after exothermia -- about half way through rolling 1st -- the RoR will fall significantly if the roaster isn't pumping too much heat into the beans.

Rather than establishing a particular time goal for the entire process of 1stC, it makes more sense to me to anticipate it and reduce heat 10F - 20F before 1stCs, to control the RoR following exothermia in order to get the right amount of total time for the Development interval (the period from 1stCs to Drop).

I was a "sensory" guy until recently, but in the last couple of years did some reading and took some instruction which got me serious about using real time plotting, and my understand of the roasting process as well as my roasting itself are much the better for it. To the extent that artisanal, craft roasting means doing things on purpose and with nearly complete control, real time, BT plotting is huge. Lacking real time, accurate bean temperatures, you can still do some wonderful roasting; but it limits your precision.

Sic transit gloria mundi,
Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

boar_d_laze wrote:To the extent that artisanal, craft roasting means doing things on purpose and with nearly complete control, real time, BT plotting is huge. Lacking real time, accurate bean temperatures, you can still do some wonderful roasting; but it limits your precision.
+1. This point cannot be overstated; the more you know about what is going on in your roaster, the easier you will find it to improve through trial and error.
LMWDP #435

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

pete51 wrote: How do you measure the time of the first crack?
You can't do so in a way that compares with other roasters or coffees.

1. The temperature at which each bean cracks is distributed in a roughly normal distribution. This means that the bigger the load, the earlier it starts and the later it ends. A green coffee that produces a first crack that starts at 385 and ends at 425 on a 50 pound shop roaster will start at 395 and end 405 on a half pound sample roaster.

2. the moisture content of the bean and the length of time spent heating up to first crack will affect its onset and length.

Your best bet is to use a conventional first crack temperature, somewhere between 390 and 400, for reporting purposes, or for changing heat settings when you profile.
Jim Schulman

zammie

#7: Post by zammie »

another_jim wrote: 2. the moisture content of the bean and the length of time spent heating up to first crack will affect its onset and length.
Hi another_jim, can you elaborate on the length of time heating up to FC affecting its onset and length?
dizzy

LMWDP #455

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

The more moisture in the bean as it hits the right temperature zone, the more energetic and longer lasting the first crack. A very moist, green coffee, or one heated very rapidly to 400F, and especially if both, will have a loud and long first crack.

You will get to know when to expect the first crack on your roaster, using your usual load and profile. If the first crack comes earlier or later than usual, or is soft or louder, it will give you a hint about the coffee, especially its age and moisture content. On subsequent roasts, you can then compensate with more or less heat early to get the first crack back into the normal zone.
Jim Schulman

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv »

All good information!

I have been using the Amprobe with EricC's good probes and can get good information out of the roaster but I have yet to master the Artisan to computer/plotting. I need one on one button pushing education :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train