How to install a 1 Kg. Gas Roaster in my insulated attached garage

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
docdvm

#1: Post by docdvm »

Live in a cold climate and house is heated with NG. Getting a propane/NG TJ-067 to replace my HotTop. Did not realize that this would be so complicated!

Firstly I thought I could use it like a Bar B Q with a portable tank. I would just keep it outside and connect it before the roast leaving it just outside my garage door. Would also run the vent pipe under the door to exhaust the smoke, vacuuming after every roasting session as I do that anyway with the HotTop. I would use a wheeled cart for the roaster and the cyclone thus allowing me to gain experience and decide on a more permanent solution. Is that a reasonable option? Has anyone on this forum used a 1 kg. roaster like this? Is it safe. Of course it is below freezing here so I would only crack the garage door open enough to slide the vent pipe under the door. Just how much more smoke does the roaster produce compared to the HotTop? I am only roasting for personal use so am planning to go commercial ever. Just an enthusiastic hobbyist.

As I already have a NG line to the house it might be easiest to just run another line to the garage and connect the roaster. I can then go through the wall with a vent and the installation would be complete. Cost of running the NG line $350.00 and then the vent.

Anyone have experience that could help me. I know that diameter of lines for propane and NG are not the same nor are the fittings but the installer can deal with that. Do you think it is unreasonable to just use the roaster like a BarBQ for a while? Am I risking a fire?

What kind of Fire extinguishers are you using?

Any recommendations?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Sorry no one's replied yet. My reply will bump this.

I have a TJ-067 propane roaster that I use in a garage-like setting. Almost all of the smoke goes out the exhaust vent via the cyclone fan. It's not very different from a Hottop in locally emitted smoke. You will get more smoke out the exhaust because you're roasting larger batches.

I keep my propane tank just outside the garage door and snake the vent duct out there too. I'm using the kind of heavy duty flexible aluminum duct you employ for a clothes dryer. Unlike something like a pellet stove it's unlikely fire will get into the exhaust pipe because you always want to be at the roaster. If the beans catch fire, which isn't likely if you're watching your roast, you turn off the gas, close the vent at the bean load chute, keep the front door closed, shut off the fan and let it burn itself out inside the roaster. The roaster perfumes the workshop area afterward more than a Hottop does, but this is aroma from the residue in the roaster that builds hours afterward, not primarily from smoke emitting from it during the roast. Between roast sessions after it's cooled I open the door to the burner area on both sides, remove the tray and use a shop vac to clear it. Mine has a perforated drum, so I may collect more chaff there than others. Chaff also collects in the cyclone fan and needs to be cleaned out there. I've mounted a carbon monoxide detector on the wall. These are easily found at home improvement stores and hardware stores. I also test gas connections with soapy water in a spray bottle.

I'm an amateur, not a fire expert, and I don't know whether this meets stringent safety specs. Also maybe someone else can recommend the ideal fire extinguisher. I got one that doesn't trash electrical components.

I'm preparing to vent the roaster through the wall, using a double walled vent pipe with insulation around it. I will thread the propane tank hose through the wall separately, away from the exhaust vent.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Bodka Coffee

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I went out the wall with stove piping. I also use a propane can inside. Is this dangerous? I don't recommend it....

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I believe propane is heavier than air. But if there's a leak and a spark I wouldn't want to be in that room.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

I just vent out the garage door when I roast.

Dave Stephens

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

You need a big white star painted in a circle on your roasting table, there, Captain America :D

Nice setup.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/