How to connect FUJI PXR4 to a computer

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
trosimon

#1: Post by trosimon »

Hi!

I would like to connect and control an electric roaster to a computer using a Fuji PXR 4 (PXR4 - TCY1 - 4VMA1)

Can I order any kind of RS485 to USB converter and it will work?

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-USB-to-RS232 ... 1431443056

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-RS-4 ... 0670661327

And then connect port 7 and 8 on the PID to this converter?

Appreciate any help!

jonr

#2: Post by jonr »

Looks correct to me. You could also skip the controller and have the computer do the same functions (measure temperature and turn on/off the heat).

tamarian

#3: Post by tamarian »

jonr wrote:You could also skip the controller and have the computer do the same functions (measure temperature and turn on/off the heat).
Please elaborate, this is interesting.

DavidMLewis

#4: Post by DavidMLewis »

jonr wrote:Looks correct to me. You could also skip the controller and have the computer do the same functions (measure temperature and turn on/off the heat).
You want to be very careful here. You do not want a system design in which a hang, communication, or cable/connector failure could leave the heater full on, with no way of killing it that does not also kill the fan and/or drum. You do not want to know how I know this.

Best,
David

trosimon (original poster)

#5: Post by trosimon (original poster) »

Hi,

I have now recieved the Fuji PXR4 and I'm having some problems connecting it to the computer. I have these two converters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221349874318?ss ... 1497.l2649
(only two connectors, A and B)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170670661327?ss ... 1497.l2649
(TX -+ RX-+ volt and ground. )

So I have tried connecting port 7 and 8 to A and B on the first converter. no luck.

I have also tried different connections on the other converter, no luck. don't even know if it actually needs power.

can anybody help with a dummieguide???

Arpi

#6: Post by Arpi »

Hi.

Install the software driver for the usb RS485 converter (in a CD maybe).

Connect the two wires from the PID to the converter. These are usually labeled D+ D-. No need to connect the ground, etc., as it is self powered USB.

Plug the converter to the PC.

Verify that the USB driver works by looking on the Device Manager (Windows OS) and seeing that a new comm port is created (something like "COM4") after the usb converter is plugged in the computer. This com port only exists when the converter is plugged in (for usb converters). If there is no new com port, then the driver does not work.

Select the (new) com port on Artisan Serial settings.

Press ON

Good luck

sversimo

#7: Post by sversimo »

Hi,

thanks for your help but it still doesn't work. We have connected the wires from port 7 and 8 on the PID and the driver for the converter (prolific) is working. Connected to D minus and pluss.

We have tried two different computers.

We have selected the correct Serial port in Artisan and Device is set to Fuji PXR 1.

we get this feedback without modbus port selected: pid.readonework(): 1RK bytes recived (7 needed). with modbus port selected: Modbus error readsingleregister () Attempting to use a port that is not open"line 20345

tested on two computers.

Are there maybe something we must do the PID? Settings for communication function is correct (modbus)

Any help is very appreciated as we are clueless

Arpi

#8: Post by Arpi »

Hi.

The station number and the communications settings of the pid must match the settings in the software artisan.

Change/inspect the settings on the PID:

There are two ways to change or inspect the setting of the PID:

The first way is to use the software called PXR LITE: http://www.instrumart.com/assets/PXRlitev1_0_4.zip
(but it may only let you connect up to COM4 only. You would need to change the comm port of the driver if it automatically comes higher than COM4). This could also verify if the PID talks to the PC.

The second way is to manually change the settings of the PID. The instructions are available here: http://www.instrumart.com/assets/Fuji-P ... Manual.pdf

The important PID settings to talk to artisan are:

station number: page 70
parity: page 71
communication protocol setting (use modbus): page 72
Some of the PXR model options are limited to ID and Parity, while PXG model has more.

fixed (non adjustable) PXR settings: Baudrate: 9600; Byte size:8; Stopbits: 1

Change the settings on artisan:

The station number is changed in Config/Device/PID/RS485 unit. Use for example 1 (must also be 1 in the station number of the PID). The rest of the settings are change in Config/serial Port:

BaudRate: 9600 (fixed for PXR)
Byte size: 8 (fixed for PXR)
Parity: O (Odd) (<- Parity setting is probably what is making you not communicate)
Stopbits: 1
Time out: 1

If you have more than one PID (with different station numbers like 1,2), they both need to have the same serial settings to match the serial settings in artisan. Artisan does not use the modbus settings for the device Fuji PIDs (independent).

Good luck.

sversimo

#9: Post by sversimo »

Thank you for your help!

Now we have communication between artisan and one of the FUJI PIDs, however, we have some problems using the ramp/soak function; how do you use it?

We have tried to set the values in the "Fuji PID control" window, but without success. We can change and read single SV values, but not program anything.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Arpi

#10: Post by Arpi »

Hi.

I forgot to tell you that artisan expects the PID (or PIDs) to use one digit after the decimal point (example 100.3). To set this on the PID, follow the instructions on page 42 of the PID manual. YOu acn also use the setPID to one decimal point in the Extra tab to make things easier.

artisan also keeps a log of error messages encountered. You can see or copy the errors in /Help/Error log. That would help with communicating problems.

The PID rampsoak settings should be set when artisan is not recording. To load the settings on the PID, go to Fuji PXR Control/Set RS tab. Then add the SV value and the time in HH:MM format (PXR model only format, whereas PXG does seconds.). You can only use blocks like 1-4, 1-8, etc., in RampSoak mode.

Example to set 1-4 in the Set RS tab:

1 sv=300.0 Ramp = 00:05 soak = 00:00 press SET button all the way to the right (5 mins to reach 300F and don't hold (soak) the temperature. jump to 2 )

2 sv=390.0 Ramp = 00:04 soak = 00:00 press SET on the right (4 mins more to first crak 390F and don't hold the temperature = Go to the next Ramp)

3 sv=410.0 Ramp = 00:02 soak = 00:00 press SET (2 mins more to 410F, zero soak)

4 sv= 420.0 Ramp = 00:02 soak = 00:00 press SET (2 more mins to reach 420F. zero soak)

now to go RS tab. Then select: 1-4 pattern. Press START (recording). Press RampSoak button ON. This turns ON the PID and it starts heating the roaster till 300F in about 5 mins (first ramp), and go on. You can cancel by pressing RampSoak OFF

Thi assumes your roaster has enough omp to achieve these times. You should first do an autotune before to let the PID find its own internal p. i. d. values. Warm the roaster to like 350F. Add a few cheap beans on the roaster and press the AutotubnON button on the PID tab. Wait ~ 10 mins or so till it ends.

I personally never used the Ramp/soak mode. I only use the SV settings because it is difficult to find if your roaster is capable to climbing fast (air roaster are better at this).

If more than one PID is connected, only the ET pid (closer to the heat source) should be used as controlling temperature. BT PID is just for temperature recording (not control function)

Good luck