Hottop Add/Cool Beep Volume

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
IntrepidQ3

#1: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

Is there a way to lower the volume of these beeps or shorten the duration to one or two beeps?

I live at an apartment complex and roast on the balcony. I am sure that these beeps can be heard easily in any unit in close proximity. Probably even in the building across from me.

I am not so much worried about the safety beeps since I will be right next to my roaster whenever it is running, as these can be prevented, but the add/cool beeping are inevitable.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

JimG

#2: Post by JimG »

The buzzer component is LF-MT12A05, if that helps. It is through-hole and getting to the back side of the PCB to replace it with a quieter option does not look promising.

There is probably a current limiting resistor on the control board that could be upsized to quiet it down. The trick would be figuring out which resistor to replace.

The buzzer has an "emission hole" that seems to be begging for a dab of RTV silicon :wink:

Jim

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#3: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

JimG wrote:The buzzer component is LF-MT12A05, if that helps.

Jim
Hahaha :roll: oh boy!

I love this hobby! Nothing is simple! (1/8 'sarcasm', 7/8 'lets find a diagram!')
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

If I remember correctly it is just a little piezo speaker. Put some tape over the opening. Instantly quieter.
Dave Stephens

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#5: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

Not a bad idea, simple fix. I will have to try it this weekend.