Home Roasting Co-op thingy?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bryanfowler

#1: Post by bryanfowler »

Morning guys,

I'm looking for some examples of home roasting co-op (ish) business models. I have a Mill city roaster at home. Mainly for personal, and sell to friends use. (even though it's 'sell to friends', I still made a logo, and brand name, and pay attention to marketing...it's just what I do :) )

I have good friends that are more than welcome to use the roaster whenever they want. They are asking to pay for the use of the roaster, and the right to sell the beans under my name. (totally fine) I'd like to come up with some plan that lets them roast their own beans, or the beans I bought, and keep them, or sell them.

I was thinking of an hourly roaster time, but didn't want to charge them if they only made 2 bags.
So I started thinking about a per bag fee for the roaster. Something like $2-3 a bag. That way they could still make something of a sale.

Anyone been through a similar situation? I realize there's ALL kinds of directions we could go.

Thanks

millcityroasters

#2: Post by millcityroasters replying to bryanfowler »

Hi Bryan.

What I'm hearing is most of the guys charge by the hour. Probably $20/hour for a 1 kg roaster? I think that's going to be between $2-$3/lb on your machine.

S.

edtbjon

#3: Post by edtbjon »

I've heard about one professional roaster in Sweden who doesn't own a roasting machine, but rents time at the place (and old Probat (?)) where he first learn'd how to roast... I don't know about volumes etc. but I really like the initative you're taking with your approach about letting others use the roaster while you're not using it.
I'm a little hesitant though about them using your brand. Really, nevermind they are buying and roasting the same beans you are selling, You are doing your personal interpretation of how it should be at its best. But if someone else does it in your name it's another thing...

JK

#4: Post by JK »

My Pain Doctor was saying I should start a co-op for coffee..
He said it's big around here for beer..

I think you should have monthly dues and a per roast fee for gas and wear and tear on the roaster..

You could maybe have a monthly meeting drink some coffee and teach some new methods..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

The homebrew model is probably close enough to use. My guess is that if you actually start doing it as a business then you are obligated to run it as a business. This would mean business license, state franchise board, and various food/health boards, depending on where you are.

One way around some of that might be to start a club and let folks use the roaster as a membership perk.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

JK wrote: I think you should have monthly dues and a per roast fee for gas and wear and tear on the roaster..
And very good insurance.