Home-Roasted Coffee More Sour than Commercial Blends using Elektra Microcasa a Leva

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

I'm using a Gene Cafe air roaster for several years, and I like the results I'm getting from my MCaL. However, I recently tried some commercial blends and the resulting espresso was markedly less sour. The level of roast is similar, at least judging by color. I blend different kinds of beans (usually all arabica, and usually 4-6 different types), but I consistently get more soundness than what I consider to be optimal. I usually stop the roast around second crack, i.e. when a bean or two show hints of oil.

Any suggestions?

donn

#2: Post by donn »

I would hazard a guess that the commercial roasts are longer, and thus more thorough. I don't know the Gene Cafe, but as a more general perception, that's a difference between drum roasters and hot air roasters. Think of it as "bright" rather than "sour", the key is to have a positive attitude! Seriously, if the roaster controls allow you to take a few degrees off the roast temperature, of course while still hot enough to complete, that might be worth a try.

boren (original poster)

#3: Post by boren (original poster) »

That's an interesting idea which I intend to try. The roaster has very effective control of temperature, so it's quite easy to do. Thanks for the suggestion!

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

boren wrote:I'm using a Gene Cafe air roaster for several years, and I like the results I'm getting from my MCaL. However, I recently tried some commercial blends and the resulting espresso was markedly less sour. . .
Cupping terms may be different between us. I have roasted on a Gene Cafe for 8 years and a drum roaster for 6 months.

My Gene Cafe roasts are not sour. In comparison to the drum roaster (I have done the same bean on both set-ups and cupped for comparisons), the Gene roasts are "toastier," have less flavor/nuance development, and are brighter/higher acidity.

Focus on time from start of 1st crack to drop rather than color. The Gene never gets the seam silverskin to turn colors as does a drum. Take your beans to the edge of 2nd crack, staying out of 2nd crack.

While the drum roaster puts a much better roast on the bean, the $500 Gene has served me well.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

boren (original poster)

#5: Post by boren (original poster) »

This is good to know. Avoiding second crack is a bit difficult when it (1) can't be done in a given session where it is already reached, only in a timed follow up, and (2) is difficult to hear in the Gene to begin with (compared to, for example, an HWP). I'll need to pay more attention to this. So far stopping when the first drop of oil or two is visible proved to be a very simple and effective way to get roasts that I like, but now that I have a specific goal in mind I'll try other approaches.

BTW, can you elaborate what you mean by "seam silverskin"?

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

I can hear the cracks better on the Gene when I use a piece of heavy cardboard, the length of the plastic cover. It insulates some of the machine noise.
The cracks are best heard when standing 5 feet away from the machine, in front of the machine, facing the dials.

The seam silverskin can be seen as the light colored lines in this photo.

-----
LMWDP #339

Oakeshott

#7: Post by Oakeshott »

Since you do mostly blends, you may find this piece by Matt Perger on solubility and blends applicable to your situation.

http://baristahustle.com/to-blend-or-not-to-blend/

farmroast

#8: Post by farmroast »

The MCAL tends towards bright/clean shots. Shines with a really top clean light roast ethiopians.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze »

What are your interval times to EOD (yellowing); Ramp; and Development?
Oakeshott wrote:Since you do mostly blends, you may find this piece by Matt Perger on solubility and blends applicable to your situation. http://baristahustle.com/to-blend-or-not-to-blend/
Why? There's no practical advice at all, let alone applicable to solving the problem here. On top of that Mr. Perger misuses and/or misunderstands the term "solubility," the ostensible premise of the post, apparently confusing it with rate of dissolution.

For what it's worth, assembling blends at our amateur level of the hobby doesn't require much technical knowledge. Roast your candidates; cup and evaluate them; then wet blend them in various combinations and ratios on the same cupping table.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator