Help developing roast profile for Ethiopian Gedeo Worka

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
eds

#1: Post by eds »

Hey everyone, I"m a novice roaster who's been lurking and learning for the past 6 months. I've graduated from popcorn popper/HGDB to a heat-gun bread machine set-up - with thermocouple and a voltage controller for my heat gun. Aside from control and consistency, this set-up also gives me a decent amount of firepower and I can get pretty speedy roasts if I wanted.

I bought ten lbs of this NP Ethiopian Gedeo Worka coffeehttp://www.klatchroasting.com/Green_Ged ... or_org.htm from Klatch recently. Now that I'm able to better control what I'm doing, I wanted to get a better sense of where to start developing a roast profile.

Since its a dry-process, fruity bean so I know I need to avoid scorching but I want a brighter cup and to preserve as much of the fruit/berries as possible.

I was thinking:
5:00 m to 300 F
4:00 m to FC (ramp of approx 20F per minute)
2:00 m post crack to City/FC city

Does this seem like a reasonable place to start? Thanks in advance.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Yes, those look ok, but trust your senses more than what your thermocouple is telling you. Especially in regards to when to end the roast.

Gedeo Worka is still in my opinion the very best bang for the buck coffee offered for sale in the past 3-4 years. It's not that tricky to get wonderful results, and with a little tweaking and practice, it becomes amazing.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
pShoe

#3: Post by pShoe »

That is a good starting point. I didn't have much, but my best results came from 6:00 to drying end, 4 minutes to FC, and 1:20 to end of roast. I ended it by smell, but the BT was 414F when I dropped.

SAS
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by SAS »

I just cupped (@8:00PM PDT) a batch that I roasted this morning. WOW! And I didn't even like the profile that the roaster & beans made me use. I was reacting during the whole roast. It just didn't go the way I wanted it to go. I was trying to use suggestions made by Pshoe and shoot for a 6 min dry, 4 min ramp and a shorter development. At one point I had the Quest pushing 10 amps. You can see the drying RoR slowing after 4 mins. I don't know why it did this with these beans? I think I charged at too low a MET and ET. I didn't have the MET up as high as I usually do when shooting for 5:00 - 5:30min drying phase. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to stretch the drying to 6 mins. 7:29 is the longest drying I have ever roasted.

But the results were the wonderful. Fragrant orange in the dry ground coffee. Wonder complex tropical fruit smell in the wet grounds, and more so in the break. Full tropical fruits in the first slurp with a juicy body.

This cupping was so good I ran the left-overs through the AeroPress to have in the morning just to see what it will taste like; too late at night to drink and good to waste.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.