Hardware to run Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
VeniaCoffee

#1: Post by VeniaCoffee »

Hello all, have a few questions and hoping someone here has some knowledge to share where mine has gaps.

Wanting to set up Artisan to read the signal off two Autonics PID controllers (similar to Watlow and Fuji PID's, exact model #'s not in front of me, but I can get that info later today if needed) and it seems I need a modbus interface of some sort to be able to connect to the computer running Artisan. Would the Phidget 1048 work for this? If not, or not the best solution, what would your suggestions be? Thanks!

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

See post below.
-----
LMWDP #339

millcityroasters

#3: Post by millcityroasters »

VeniaCoffee wrote:Hello all, have a few questions and hoping someone here has some knowledge to share where mine has gaps.

Wanting to set up Artisan to read the signal off two Autonics PID controllers (similar to Watlow and Fuji PID's, exact model #'s not in front of me, but I can get that info later today if needed) and it seems I need a modbus interface of some sort to be able to connect to the computer running Artisan. Would the Phidget 1048 work for this? If not, or not the best solution, what would your suggestions be? Thanks!
I think you're probably looking for a USB to RS485 adapter like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Serial-Converter- ... +converter

Your controllers should be networked to each other, if not you'll probably need one for each controller

BoldJ is confused. The Phidget 1048 will not work for you.

VeniaCoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by VeniaCoffee (original poster) »

Thanks so much for the replies, much appreciated.

I took a closer look at my controllers, which I have never done before, and not sure if I have a usable output. Below is the wiring diagram:

2 & 3 are the thermocouple
5 & 6 Alarm 2 on/off control for solenoid to turn off gas as set temp
10-11 220vac

Not sure my output options. 4-5 Alarm w is either on/off switchable or PID out. 8-9 iss SSR out.

millcityroasters

#5: Post by millcityroasters »

VeniaCoffee wrote:Thanks so much for the replies, much appreciated.

I took a closer look at my controllers, which I have never done before, and not sure if I have a usable output. Below is the wiring diagram:

<image>

2 & 3 are the thermocouple
5 & 6 Alarm 2 on/off control for solenoid to turn off gas as set temp
10-11 220vac

Not sure my output options. 4-5 Alarm w is either on/off switchable or PID out. 8-9 iss SSR out.
Sorry, BoldJ. I was confused.

If you don't have a Modbus communications package built in to your temperature controller, you'll need something like a Phidget 1048 and a thermocouple of two. Why don't you call me and I'll help you sort it out?

VeniaCoffee (original poster)

#6: Post by VeniaCoffee (original poster) replying to millcityroasters »

Thank you Steve, didn't see your reply till now. Got things running temporarily on the Phidget board, but want to move to a temp controller solution in the long run which means upgrading the existing units with something with Modbus. Figuring out non-stock temperature control systems is new for me, so it is fun learning and dusting off some parts of my brain that have been underused for awhile.