Greens Alert - Page 41

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dustin360

#401: Post by dustin360 »

fu11c17y wrote:Seems like this is a common notion Ken Davids over scores beans. Are you guys scoring your own roasts of the same greens from coffeeshrub? or did you buy beans from the cafes he scored and cup them yourself?

I have tons of respect for Ken Davids and I'm really doubtful of these claims...
Like I said in my initial comment, this "was literally the same bag of coffee he scored". Brought to me by someone who works there. So same roast/same bag.

*Is it not obvious that paying someone to score your coffee is inherently flawed?

jammin

#402: Post by jammin »

TomC wrote:Where's the ejector seat lever?

I want to bail out of this jetliner that so many are trying to fly straight into a cliff at full throttle. I'm stoked beyond words that Ken Davids, who's cupped more coffee than every person on this forum combined, most likely; is willing to lend his palate and his thoughts to some humble home roasters.

This thread needs to get back on track about green coffee alerts.

This thread needs to get back on track, but not before I get my 2 cents in ... lol

Advertisement
farmroast (original poster)

#403: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

2 new crop Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe WP lots just listed om SM

Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Teklu Chele'lektu

Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Kore Kochore
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

the_trystero

#404: Post by the_trystero »

farmroast wrote:2 new crop Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe WP lots just listed om SM

Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Teklu Chele'lektu
I hope this is as good as it sounds this year. Two boxes from CS arrived today.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

TomC
Team HB

#405: Post by TomC »

When I met the guys at Victrola, they talked at great depth about their passion for a particular lot of a natural Ethiopian Sidamo that blew their socks off. It stood out of a massive lot of different coffees so strongly, that instead of waiting for it to ship via container, the normal route, they literally flew the entire crop back to the States, so they had excellent fresh Ethiopian crop before a majority of any others.

I'm just glad that Ethiopians are coming back finally. Thursday, May 1st, I'm supposed to finally get to meet and visit with Thomson Owens and the entire Sweet Maria's Crew, plus, an on topic addition, an Ethiopian Coffee Importer and I are meeting up beforehand and heading there together. I'm going to bring that amazing Ethiopian from Victrola.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

the_trystero

#406: Post by the_trystero »

the_trystero wrote:I hope this is as good as it sounds this year. Two boxes from CS arrived today.
My 1st roast of the Teklu was fast and mediocre in the cup, plenty of black tea and a little bit of sweetness but no citrus. Haven't cupped my 2nd and 3rd profiles yet.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

Andy

#407: Post by Andy »

TomC wrote: Thursday, May 1st, I'm supposed to finally get to meet and visit with Thomson Owens and the entire Sweet Maria's Crew, plus, an on topic addition, an Ethiopian Coffee Importer and I are meeting up beforehand and heading there together. I'm going to bring that amazing Ethiopian from Victrola.
Please tell us bout it.

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#408: Post by TomC replying to Andy »

Last minute kibosh put on it. Mike the Ethiopian greens seller from Wash. DC found out that Tom wanted to make the visit much more business oriented and not just a social gathering, so no guests hanging around during business talks, which I totally get. It would have been pretty cool though. Tom is such a hard working guy and so busy flying all over the globe, he's rarely home. And I suppose when he is, he doesn't want to be distracted by "fans".
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

poison

#409: Post by poison »

I just picked up two bags of cafe imports ACES Mexico Pacamara Finca Kassandra. I bought it last year, and didn't hesitate this year. Like last year, it's super-intense, no subtlety involved; it's a flying knee to the face. It has a very complete range of sweet low notes, plenty of fruit, and amazing acidity, but the astonishing thing is the herbal/spice aspect, which almost becomes peppery (white peppercorns). Cafe Imports tasting notes:

The Cup
" Pacamara: Complex, intense, juicy, tannic and sweet with winey fruit, ripe tomato, baked apple, purple basil and grape."

Adapt this saying to coffee: "Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."

And you have the Finca Kassandra. Every so often a coffee towers above the rest.

I also picked up a box of LevelUp Ethiopia Danch Meng. Last months Roast and Learn is very helpful! :)

rickylc

#410: Post by rickylc »

My 1st roast of the Teklu was fast and mediocre in the cup, plenty of black tea and a little bit of sweetness but no citrus. Haven't cupped my 2nd and 3rd profiles yet.
so, how did the second and third profiles come out? I have some of this arriving tomorrow or Tuesday so I guess I will find out myself soon.