Greens Alert - Page 40

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
farmroast (original poster)

#391: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

Did a first roast of the G1 Idido/Aricha Misty Valley "natural", really impressed. Clean blueberry, sweet, along with the classic citrus in a great wp Yirga Cheffe and a nice added silky mouthfeel from the natural process.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Intrepid510

#392: Post by Intrepid510 »

dustin360 wrote:Agreed that coffee review WAY over scores things. Ive literally had the same coffee(literally the same bag) they scored a 94, that I would of scored an 88 or 87. Not to say that Kenya isnt great, it probably is. I just

Also agree the Yirg Gedeo is great, I have two different profiles I really like for it.
3:30/3:15/1:40 (ten degrees past first crack drop temp)
12.67% weight loss

3:20/3/2:45 (ten degrees past first crack drop)
14.49% weight loss

Fan speed on both profiles starts lower than once "drying" is done I turn it up(bout 70 percent). First profile is more explosive(aka more Yirgyness), second profile is sweeter but looses some of the lemon lime/florals.
Have you been getting that piquant flavor? It's almost coming out as a fermented flavor.

farmroast (original poster)

#393: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

Roastmasters Panama Finca Lerida Honey sounds interesting, only 100 lbs being offered. Just ordered 5 lbs to try.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

dustin360

#394: Post by dustin360 »

Intrepid510 wrote:Have you been getting that piquant flavor? It's almost coming out as a fermented flavor.
No, cant say I have. Ive roasted washed coffees that taste fermenty though. Give this coffee 3 or 4 days before you decide if that profile worked. It needs some time to unfold(Im not particularly good at waiting myself).

fu11c17y

#395: Post by fu11c17y »

dustin360 wrote:Agreed that coffee review WAY over scores things. Ive literally had the same coffee(literally the same bag) they scored a 94, that I would of scored an 88 or 87. Not to say that Kenya isnt great, it probably is. I just
Seems like this is a common notion Ken Davids over scores beans. Are you guys scoring your own roasts of the same greens from coffeeshrub? or did you buy beans from the cafes he scored and cup them yourself?

I have tons of respect for Ken Davids and I'm really doubtful of these claims...

poison

#396: Post by poison »

Try this for a claim: I sent some coffee to Kenneth David's for review, when he was going to do an espresso blend round up. I sent it off and heard nothing for some time. Weeks later I emailed and they said it didn't make the cut. Well wouldn't you know one of my customers mentioned offhand in an email that her nephew worked for David's. I mentioned what happened, she said 'oh, let me check with him', and what happened? My coffee sat in the freezer for a few weeks before they got to tasting it.

Oh wait, that's not a claim, that's what really happened. Now, I was roasting on the BBQ then, so I very well may have blown a batch, and freezing is a viable storage option, but I certainly wouldn't expect any reputable reviewer to freeze coffees, then cup the frozen coffees against the new, unfrozen ones. What is this, car and driver? Do we adjust for time and storage temp and grade based on what it would have tasted like if it hadn't been stored and frozen?

the_trystero

#397: Post by the_trystero »

fu11c17y wrote:or did you buy beans from the cafes he scored and cup them yourself?
Done this. Been disappointed many times. Enough times that I ignore anything 94 and below.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

TomC
Team HB

#398: Post by TomC »

Where's the ejector seat lever?

I want to bail out of this jetliner that so many are trying to fly straight into a cliff at full throttle. I'm stoked beyond words that Ken Davids, who's cupped more coffee than every person on this forum combined, most likely; is willing to lend his palate and his thoughts to some humble home roasters.

This thread needs to get back on track about green coffee alerts.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

another_jim
Team HB

#399: Post by another_jim »

fu11c17y wrote:Seems like this is a common notion Ken Davids over scores beans. Are you guys scoring your own roasts of the same greens from coffeeshrub? or did you buy beans from the cafes he scored and cup them yourself?

I have tons of respect for Ken Davids and I'm really doubtful of these claims...
He tends to score higher than other reviewers, including those from the COE. But since his scores are internally consistent for coffees that have had multiple reviewers, there is no problem.

There have also been raised eyebrows when he's reviewed coffees that run from unusual to completely out there. He once did a set of reviews on Robustas, scoring some as high as 90. On this, some people said he had lost all credibility. Since then, of course, there has been the formation of the Specialty Robusta Association, and the CQI has set up standards for Q contract Robustas and Q cupping certifications for Robusta tasting. So it seeems he was somewhat ahead of the curve instead.
Jim Schulman

the_trystero

#400: Post by the_trystero »

another_jim wrote:He tends to score higher than other reviewers, including those from the COE. But since his scores are internally consistent for coffees that have had multiple reviewers, there is no problem.
Yep, it's all relative, consistency is what matters most.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon