Great find on a scissor lift style roaster cart

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I found a perfect solution to my heavy (approx 250lb) 1 kilo roaster, that will allow me to use it and move it around with ease, in my little apartment and it's a ridiculous bargain. I've had many projects on hand for the past few months, still working on a vintage Conti Empress lever amongst other things, so I haven't yet even tackled my new roaster, which has sat unused since December when it arrived. It literally hasn't even been fired up due to concerns about routing exhaust and trying to not make permanent, ugly modifications to walls of my apartment to hold exhaust piping, etc.

My main concerns were routing exhaust and the current setup I have, sitting on a large stainless steel kitchen prep table, isn't ideal. I'd have to route the 4" exhaust tubing out my balcony and stretch quite a distance. And the surrounding area is currently cluttered with case and frame work for the Empress, so I haven't jumped into using it.

Finding this cart on Harbor Freight, solves many, many problems for me. One, it's on heavy duty wheels, and now the roaster can be moved with ease. It can be jacked up to the perfect height so that I can roast in my kitchen, sitting down in front of the faceplate where all the controls are within reach, and the exhaust can simply route right up my stove exhaust, all in perfect lighting conditions with my overhead kitchen lights. Plus, when not in use, it can be flattened out and stored more out of the way, rather than taking up a massive amount of prominent space in my apartment.

The table cart has a 500lb capacity, a non skid hard rubber surface, and the platform looks as if it's designed specifically for my roaster (meaning the measurement of the platform and the amount of lift are both dead on perfect for me), but should hold many various 1 pound or even 1 kilo roasters with ease. There's even a 1000 lb capacity cart that has a height setting that is about 8" taller than this one.

The really cool part, is that although Harbor Freight usually doesn't allow discount coupons to apply to any sort of jacks, or heavy storage carts, this one somehow, does. And the biggest kicker, shipping on this 90 pound package to my door, is a whole whopping $7!

The coupon code for 20% off is 56762840

It brings the whole price down to $142 shipped, after taxes.

This card is 1/8th the price of most scissor lift style heavy duty carts, making an easy buy. Even if I had a garage or patio more suited to roasting, this would be a great way to move, and use the roaster at the desired height that the person roasting chooses. I just ordered it late Saturday, and for $7, I'll let someone else haul it up my staircase to deliver it, not to mention burn the gas to go and buy the thing. My nearest Harbor Freight is an hour + drive away and a toll bridge, so this is one heck of a deal getting it this way. The main thing I'll need to check when I get it is that it's nice and level, but it shouldn't be an issue.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Italyhound »

Thank you Tom. I needed something like this.

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

Nice find!

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

cygnusx1

#4: Post by cygnusx1 »

I don't have need for one but that looks like a great find for your application. It doesn't look too industrial either. The only modification I would suggest is maybe changing The caster wheels to a rubber version since you will be operating it inside your apartment. They will have less impact on your flooring than the hard plastic ones shown. You might be able to swap out the wheels for these. Same diameter but I don't know about the width or the axle diameter.

danetrainer

#5: Post by danetrainer »

The 2 Kilo Ambex will fit nicely, if I hadn't already made an alloy wheeled base for it I would certainly get one. Platform size is listed as 27 3/4" x 17 5/8" and minimum height of 8 1/8".

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC (original poster) »

cygnusx1 wrote:I don't have need for one but that looks like a great find for your application. It doesn't look too industrial either. The only modification I would suggest is maybe changing The caster wheels to a rubber version since you will be operating it inside your apartment. They will have less impact on your flooring than the hard plastic ones shown. You might be able to swap out the wheels for these. Same diameter but I don't know about the width or the axle diameter.

These are the actual wheels, as indicated in the owners manual. I think they'll do just fine. From another close up picture in the manual, they appear to be very similar to the polymer wheels for rollerblades. But I'll test them out when it gets here.

damonbowe

#7: Post by damonbowe »

There are a lot of companies that sell high quality casters. Since Harbor Freight usually has terrible quality, I'd expect them to cheap out somewhere but this would be the best place to do it for your needs. It's a nice find even if the wheels aren't good. I'm interested to see because the photo makes them look pretty hokie to me--that was my first thought. Nevertheless, this is pretty good.

Advertisement
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC (original poster) »

The same model from last year was an ugly job site yellow. I had to call and double check that they were in fact steel colored. It appears that it might be a hammer toned grey.

When it arrives and I get it all set up, I'll share photos of it and how the roaster engulfs my tiny apartment.

I am still strongly considering selling it and buying the Mini 500 that I should have bought on the first place.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

damonbowe wrote:Since Harbor Freight usually has terrible quality, I'd expect them to cheap out somewhere but this would be the best place to do it for your needs.
I prefer to think that their tools & lifts have amazing quality "for the price". I've been using one of their motorcycle lifts for a number of years with no issues. Also have 2 (metric & U.S.) of their 3/4" drive socket sets which cost a fraction of the name brand sets. The ratchets that came with the sets were junk as expected but those extra large sockets come in handy weekly.
LMWDP 267

damonbowe

#10: Post by damonbowe replying to JohnB. »

Ha ha, you know how it is. Sometimes you're paying for the brand name. HF is not my fave but it serves a purpose! Sometimes they are the only ones to have certain items.