Getting to 1C with Behmor 1600 in a reasonable amount of time with 1 pound batches

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mchodson

#1: Post by mchodson »

I've been using a Behmor 1600 to roast coffee and I am loving the P3 "C" setting with 1/2 pound batches. It works excellently. However, I want to achieve the same results with full pound batches, but even on P1 I can't get 1C before 15 minutes. I'm looking to hit 1C between 10-12 minutes and finish the roast around 13:30-14 minutes. I have unplugged everything from the outlet and have only the Behmor plugged in during roasting, and I know that it could be the general power consumption in my area affecting it (so maybe roasting at midnight would be better). Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do? Also, I have been preheating for about 1:30 (if I go 2 minutes the safety feature switches on and I can't begin the roast right away).

On a sidenote, I have succesfully managed to roast several batches now without the smoke detector going off! Either the smoke suppression is not great or we have super sensitive smoke detectors. With the right amount of cross flow of the air it seems to have eliminated this annoying distraction.

Thanks!

sonnyhad

#2: Post by sonnyhad »

12 oz is about your max load size to get 1st crack with any consistency. You can get into 2nd even, depending how you like it. You might get a 14oz load to 1st as well but 12oz seems to be the right weight.
LMWDP 437

mchodson (original poster)

#3: Post by mchodson (original poster) replying to sonnyhad »

So, should I set it to 1 pound or 1/2 pound with my finger on the cool button? Haha, yeah my first 1 pound roast didn't hit 1C till 22 minutes. Baked.

johnlyn

#4: Post by johnlyn »

Not much to do but keep the batch size down. I'm looking into getting a variac to maintain a higher voltage....

Burner0000

#5: Post by Burner0000 »

A good way to get consistent power to handle a full pound is to plug it into a 120V/ 15A stove outlet which is usually up near the switches somewhere. If that's not an option then your best bet is to do as sonnyhad said. Roast at a 1 lb setting with a lower batch size. Pre-heating may help but it can risk burning out your board after a while.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..