Gesha Profile?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mrinaldo

#1: Post by mrinaldo »

Hi everyone,

I just got my hands on a small bag of 1500 Panama Gesha. Would anyone have any advice on profiling geshas, or be kind enough to refer me to a pre-existing thread?

I know one pitfall involves underdeveloping the beans for fear of destroying the delicate floral and fruit notes.

FWIW, I'm roasting on a hottop with the stock temp indicator.

Thanks!
Where mystique and simplicity collide, you get religion.
-D. Wondrich on Martini

compellingrich

#2: Post by compellingrich »

Are you roasting for an acidity-driven cup? Or are you roasting for something with dense sweetness?
Assuming the former, I would go for a medium-high charge; the geisha center-cut lets in heat quickly, and they can take off on you. Keep your development time at 20% of total roast time.

Do you have a general Ethiopian profile that works for you? Can't go wrong with that.

Advertisement
Bob_M

#3: Post by Bob_M »

mrinaldo wrote: Would anyone have any advice on profiling geshas, or be kind enough to refer me to a pre-existing thread?
Her's a link to a discussion about roasting a Dan Pachi Geisha Don Pachi Geisha roasting discussion

mrinaldo (original poster)

#4: Post by mrinaldo (original poster) »

Thanks for both the profile suggestion and the link to the Don Pachi Gesha--will definitely check it out!

I do in fact have a washed Ethiopian profile:

Medium-high charge at 300-ish F (285 F reading on the hottop) with 150 g in
4 min drying
4 min ramp
1:40-2 min development

So around 20% development. I'll give this profile a try for the next round of roasting. My first roast was more of a slow start, fast finish profile that did not develop the acidity well in spite of a 12.8% moisture loss.
-D. Wondrich on Martini

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

I don't claim to be a Geisha roaster. Clark Schooley is. He suggests taking it easy with airflow so you don't lose delicate volatiles/florals during the convection phase of roasting.

http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/ ... =29&t=1601

Jim suggests a high charge temp and dropping them mid point between end of first and start of second.

Don Pachi Geisha roasting discussion

I have some 2015 Guat Acatenango from Sweetmaria's and will try to incorporate both of their ideas when I roast them this month. I plan on dropping at the end of first, lighter than I typically roast but I believe the Geisha calls for it.
-----
LMWDP #339

mrinaldo (original poster)

#6: Post by mrinaldo (original poster) »

I don't claim to be a Geisha roaster. Clark Schooley is. He suggests taking it easy with airflow so you don't lose delicate volatiles/florals during the convection phase of roasting.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for including Clark Schooley's discussion thread. I agree that taking it easy with the airflow helps in preserving the more delicate volatiles. I used to end my roast on the hottop with the fan on 100%. Now I find that the 75% fan setting works much better in preserving the volatiles and bringing out a more even roast, provided one does not crash and burn with the heat while moving from ramp to FC. This seems to work not only on geshas, but other coffees as well.
I have some 2015 Guat Acatenango from Sweetmaria's and will try to incorporate both of their ideas when I roast them this month.
Let me know how that turns out! I bought a small sample of that a while back, but can't say I did a spectacular job roasting it.
-D. Wondrich on Martini

genecounts

#7: Post by genecounts »

Have bought at least ten pounds of Guat Acetenango from SM past two years after reordering couple times. Love it. Believe bought 2014 version from GCBC.
Had some great roasts of this Gesha from the Gene.

Past month or so roasting with the Huky. My first roast of this one in the Huky after Christmas was only so so as it went too long. Experimented with low charge temp which didn't work out for me.
Last nite dropped at the very end of first crack. City level. Sharp learning curve getting used to this roaster.

I'm anxiously waiting for friend BoldJava's report later this month when he roasts this bean.

Advertisement
Boldjava

#8: Post by Boldjava »

genecounts wrote:...
Last nite dropped at the very end of first crack. City level. Sharp learning curve getting used to this roaster.

I'm anxiously waiting for friend BoldJava's report later this month when he roasts this bean.
Yep, I distributed the 2014 Guat Acatenango Gesha which I grabbed from CoffeeShrub. Not as good as former years, IMO.

Gene, post some cupping notes on your city level. Thx, DB
-----
LMWDP #339

9Sbeans

#9: Post by 9Sbeans »

Last month before Christmas I roasted half pound of Panama Gesha. I still have several pounds of Guatemala Gesha in my stash. Both of them were from SM's.

I've never done side-by-side roast profiling comparison on the Gesha, and therefore simply apply my typical Ethiopian WP profiles.

My hunch-
Drying phase (3:44): As long as Drying can completely "reach the core", the shorter the Drying phase, the more vibrant the flavors. In theory I can do a fast 3:30 drying in my system, but I've never push the envelope that far on a Gesha. I tried longer Drying (4:30 - 5:30) before, but the flavors seemed dull to me. (Note, it's only my recollections. I've never done side-by-side comparison on the Gesha.)

MAI (4:28): I use fine grinds and fast immersion in Aeropress. I also blended this batch of Gesha with other beans for espresso. According to Rob Hoos (IIRC, book's not at hand), stretching the MAI phase can increase the mouth feel (complexity) but the solubility might be reduce. I suspect other extraction methods (e.g. V60) might prefer shorter MAI phase (HBers welcome to chime in).

When entering the first crack, the RoR was very gentle (about 12 - 14 F/min in my BT readouts).
I usually keep the development-total roast time ratio 20 - 22% for light roast.

Ps. I enjoyed every sip, but don't keep any cupping note for Gesha. :P

Boldjava

#10: Post by Boldjava »

9Sbeans wrote:Last month before Christmas I roasted half pound of Panama Gesha. I still have several pounds of Guatemala Gesha in my stash. Both of them were from SM's.

<image>

I've never done side-by-side roast profiling comparison on the Gesha,..

Ps. I enjoyed every sip, but don't keep any cupping note for Gesha. :P
Very nice profile. Will mimic it but probably drop a tad earlier.
-----
LMWDP #339