Gene Cafe vs. Hottop Basic - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
dynamiteid

#11: Post by dynamiteid »

I have been using a Gene Cafe for about 2 years now. I have not had any heater element issues, and I slam it with 5-6 back-to-back roasts a couple of times a week without much cool-down in between. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe they did address the issue on later models. I also use the E-stop to dump and cool the beans externally.

I like being able to clearly see the beans in the Gene, but it is quite loud and takes some getting used to to hear the definitive cracks. I am usually able to hear them without much problem, but some peaberry beans are almost impossible to hear. I haven't used a HT, but from what I have read, it is much easier to control, instrument, and actually profile the roast. I haven't seen any solutions to add a bean temp probe to a Gene Cafe. I think that is the biggest downside to the Gene. The Gene is more than capable, but I am convinced that you just can't get the fine control you need to really maximize a roast. I made it into the finals of the espresso roast comp this year, so it definitely can produce good roasts. The "profiling" on a Gene consists of learning and fine tuning heat and time settings based on past roast experiences. After two years, I have a pretty consistent "profile" that I vary slightly to increase/decrease drying time and increase/decrease roast development time after 1st crack depending on the bean. From what I have read on the forum, I think my "profile" is actually very similar to what BJava uses. I have no issues getting to 1st crack within 9 minutes, and finishing between 11-13 minutes without having to go full power for any of the roast.

The chaff collection is good, and the smoke is easily contained roasting under my high powered stove hood when roasting inside. You would want to route a vent hose outside if your stove hood vent is not very powerful.

Overall, I am happy with the Gene as my first 1/2lbs roaster, but after two years, I am getting the upgrade itch and looking at a HT or maybe even something bigger. I want to get more control of the profile. I wasn't able to afford the HT at the time, so that was the main factor for why I chose the Gene.

I hope that helps.

Dave

rmongiovi

#12: Post by rmongiovi »

I've gotten "oh wow" roasts out of both the Gene and the Hottop. I've gotten more of them from the Hottop but I've been roasting longer so I wouldn't presume that means one is better than the other. O never had the chance to compare them head-to-head with the same beans. I think the possibility of adding a bean mass temperature probe to the Hottop makes it at least potentially superior. I'm still on the fence about doing that to mine since I've got a definite hankering for a gas based roaster I can run off of a propane tank....

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JavaMD »

I've Had my Gene for about a year and as I type .. I am on my 268th Roast (probably more than that). I ended up putting a temp probe in both the heater element and at the exhaust drum side. Hooked it up to Roaster thing and it is really nice. No repair issues other than replacing the rubber bumpers that seem to break every month or so. I cool down to 325 and restart the next roast. Like Bold Java I externally cool my beans. I also have a similar venting system ... which is why I bought the gene ... to get the smoke out so my wife would let me roast in the kitchen. I really like the control I have .. although it is either all on or all off ... a simple twist of the dial to pop off the heater for a second and twist to pop it back on allows you to tame the heat and draw out the roast where you want it ... Right now I'm getting a 15.5% weight loss ... city+ to Full City at 13:30 minutes of roasting, and that is with drawing it out a bit ...

That said I'm moving on to a Revolution 500. Hopefully the slow boat from China will be docking in the next few days. With the Gene ... there is no way to get a true bean temp (if such a thing exists) ... nor have a trier. You do get a superb visual on the roast ... and can smell it as it is not quite air tight with the exhaust even with the vent (but very acceptable). The noise can be an issue in really defining when 1C starts and ends ... but my ears are pretty good. I'm hoping to get a bigger capacity (500gm) ... bean temp ... trier ... and a traditional roast where I can control air flow and heat to the drum with my new roaster ... but I am putting it in a shed and venting it to the outside. My wife won't tolerate me roasting with it in the house.

If I had to do it over again ... I'd still start with the Gene ... mostly due to the venting issues. No experience with the Hot Top .. looked at it but the initial price and lack of venting were deal breakers for me at the time. (The gene was my first roaster). Now I'm hooked on roasting coffee .. so I'm upgrading.
Steve Egge

iginfect

#14: Post by iginfect »

I've had both, starting with the Gene which after 2-3 years I upgraded to a HT. Inadequate control w/ the Gene, maybe the heating element burnt out but it just didn't get hot enough. No back to back roasts. The cooling on the Gene was with a shop vac as previously described. After over 600 roasts the moded HT has no problems but I vacuum it out after every use to remove chaff. I'm considering upgrading to a propane roaster but that would require insulating my garage which is a major undertaking. I wouldn't get the Gene, get the HT and up grade it when the parts are available, but use an external tc4-htc setup rather than internal. That was a nightmare installation.

Marvin

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#15: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

dynamiteid wrote:I have been using a Gene Cafe for about 2 years now. I have not had any heater element issues, and I slam it with 5-6 back-to-back roasts a couple of times a week without much cool-down in between. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe they did address the issue on later models...

...Overall, I am happy with the Gene as my first 1/2lbs roaster, but after two years, I am getting the upgrade itch and looking at a HT or maybe even something bigger. I want to get more control of the profile. I wasn't able to afford the HT at the time, so that was the main factor for why I chose the Gene.
I am happy to hear that your Gene is chuggin along with no issues. It seems you are one of the lucky ones from what I have been reading on this thread and others. But, I am wondering if the heating element issue has been addressed on later models. If not, I am not sure if the Gene is worth the money if it will inevitably have to be sent in for repair or purchase replacement parts. The ease of the smoke venting is extremely appealing to me though, which is why I am interested in it.
JavaMD wrote:I really like the control I have .. although it is either all on or all off ... a simple twist of the dial to pop off the heater for a second and twist to pop it back on allows you to tame the heat and draw out the roast where you want it ...
iginfect wrote:Inadequate control w/ the Gene, maybe the heating element burnt out but it just didn't get hot enough.
Currently, I am working with a Air Crazy popcorn popper... With that said, anything has more control to me compared to shaking, stirring, and cover/uncovering the unit to control temp. :roll:

It seems as if with the Gene you can profile the roast, just need to have a lot of practice and need to be patient and highly vigilant.... More so than the HT?

JavaMD wrote:Right now I'm getting a 15.5% weight loss ... city+ to Full City at 13:30 minutes of roasting, and that is with drawing it out a bit ...
Off topic, and a beginner question I suppose, but is ~15% weight loss typical for C+ to FC? With my popcorn popper I am ~15-18% loss C+ to FC+ .... at 5:30 - 6:00 minutes (fast roast I know)
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

Abnuceals

#16: Post by Abnuceals »

LMWDP 389

Boldjava

#17: Post by Boldjava replying to Abnuceals »

Whoops, my guess is that you were referencing the new model, yet to be released. I saw the prototype on the floor of the SCAA in Minneapolis in 2007 -- slow to market...
-----
LMWDP #339

bmb

#18: Post by bmb »

I saw it for €4.500 in Germany ...

http://www.rohkaffeebohnen.de/index.php ... cts_id=350

I'm quite happy with my Gene, no problems at all, back to back roasting is the rule.

If I would need parts I would just email Claus Fricke, in Berlin, and I'm quite sure he would help me out.

I' using a IR thermometer for BT, in a "special" way, and get quite good information that allows me to make a much finer profiling .... if someone is interested I could describe my "technique".

I wouldn't change it for another 1/2 pounder, presently only for some equipment that allows roasting from 1/2kg to 1, or better 2kg.

happycat

#19: Post by happycat »

Hey there

I am also currently using an air popper to roast and i have been looking at gene vs hottop. I think i would go for a used hottop plus a tc4 controller... I am hoping current hottoppers will move on to better things and sell their old gear.

As for control with a popper.... Not too hard to do.

1. Separate power for fan and heating element. I used an old laptop power supply to power the DC fan. The fan is always on during a roast.
2. Use a router speed controller to control AC input into the heater element (the original power cord)
3. Both power plugs connected to a power bar to ensure heater is never on without the fan going
4. Popper is tilted off vertical within a bucket to ensure beans circulate better... The bucket is also a great way to move the setup incase something goes wrong like a chaff flame up, but if you empty the duct after each roast you should be ok
5. Ideally, add a temp probe

My roasts get to first crack around 9.5 to 10.5 mins, then rolling first crack for about 60secs, then do another 30-50s until kiss of second crack using my current methodology of starting the speed controller at a med-low position and going up every minute. Not terribly scientific but it seems relatively consistent when used with the same coffee bean type.

I vent out the patio door of a condo. I have a door fill panel from a portable AC unit and a dryer duct that connects to it. It is cold up here but roasts are comfortable with minimal smoke.

I did buy parts for a TC4C install but the guy who makes them stopped so i am minus the board.
LMWDP #603

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#20: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

happycat wrote:...
As for control with a popper.... Not too hard to do.

1. Separate power for fan and heating element. I used an old laptop power supply to power the DC fan. The fan is always on during a roast.
2. Use a router speed controller to control AC input into the heater element (the original power cord)
3. Both power plugs connected to a power bar to ensure heater is never on without the fan going
4. Popper is tilted off vertical within a bucket to ensure beans circulate better... The bucket is also a great way to move the setup incase something goes wrong like a chaff flame up, but if you empty the duct after each roast you should be ok
5. Ideally, add a temp probe

My roasts get to first crack around 9.5 to 10.5 mins, then rolling first crack for about 60secs, then do another 30-50s until kiss of second crack using my current methodology of starting the speed controller at a med-low position and going up every minute. Not terribly scientific but it seems relatively consistent when used with the same coffee bean type.

I vent out the patio door of a condo. I have a door fill panel from a portable AC unit and a dryer duct that connects to it. It is cold up here but roasts are comfortable with minimal smoke.
I have been meaning to hook up a dimmer switch for the heating element, just have not gotten around to it. I really should. The longest roasts I have had are typically about 3:30 min to FC and about 5:30 to start of 2C. This is +/- 20sec for any bean type I use.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud