Gas or electrical roaster ?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Explorateur

#1: Post by Explorateur »

Hello,
First, sorry for my english ... ;)
I am thinking to buy a 1kg roaster. more exactly I am studing the buy of a Toper Cafemino and I have a basic question. I would like to know if there is a difference in the result between a roast with gas roaster and a roast with electrical roaster ? Is the final quality roast identical ? Is one more practical ? more stable ? Or is there only a difference of price (difference between gas an electricity) ?
Thanks a lot for your answers !

edtbjon

#2: Post by edtbjon »

You should be able to produce similar, if not identical roasts on either type of roaster. In some environments it's not possible to use gas for heating the roaster and then electricity is the only way to go.
For a full 1kg roast you do need a lot of heat, at least in the initial stages of the roast and that means a lot of electricity. Possibly 3-phase 400V but at least a very steady 230V for a full 1000g roast. It's much more easy to get this amount of energy with a gas burner.
Second, the gas burner reacts much quicker to the changes you make. If you want to cut the heat the reaction of a gas burner is instant, while the electricity heater needs say 30 seconds (or more) before it doesn't radiate any heat.
Having said that, it's comes down to how your abilites as a coffee roaster. If you know the limitations and benefits of your particular roaster and adapt to them, you should eventually find the "ultimate" way of producing delicate roasts. :)

By the way, check out this link on MIllCityRoasters, where they compare their 1kg gas and electrical roasters side by side.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Gas responds instantly to changes, electric has an inherent lag in changes. With electric you have to be anticipating your changes in advance to compensate for the delay. I went from electric roasters to a gas and will never go back. Just like a gas vs electric cook top, most people will say they will never go back to electric one they use gas. The end results will be the same, just more fidgeting with electric.
Dave Stephens

JK

#4: Post by JK »

In general gas has more power..
I would go gas..
I just changed from a small 1/4 KG electric to 1KG gas roaster and would never go back..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

Explorateur (original poster)

#5: Post by Explorateur (original poster) »

Hello ! Thanks a lot Edtbjon, and thank you for the link very interessant ! Thans you Cannonfodder and JK !

ok, I understand that a gas toaster is more practical (flexibility and control) and less expensive. There are 2 very good arguments ;)
Then, the first question is tu study if it is possible to have gas.
In my case, that is not forbidden ... but I don't have a gas infrastructure. My Toper comercial contact respond me that is it possible to use gas bottle ... As show your link Edtbjon, Mill City Roaster use 40 lb LPG tank. So then I think is it posible to use gas roaster without gas infrastructure.
What do you think about it ? Is it a good solution ? I don't know how much time I can use a tank for a 1kg roaster, ok it depends how much roast I will do, so how much roast could I imaginate to do with a similar tank ? My preocupation is not to go everyday change it ... ;)

Thanks a lot !

edtbjon

#6: Post by edtbjon »

I roast on a Huky 500, that is a 1/2kg roaster. I got me a 5kg tank which lasted me over 6 months before I had to fill it up. Even with a 1000g roaster and probably longer warm-up times, I'd say a 5kg tank will last at least for 100 roasts (which could be 200 or more...).
Cost... For the gas (not the tank) I spend something like 10 cents (0.10 €) per roast. The tank itself cost me around 100€, but these tanks can easily be found used at a lower price. You only pay for the tank once and then you either fill it up at a special gas filler or exchange it for a filled up one at just about any gasoline station (or where they sell Barbeque grills).

JK

#7: Post by JK »

Tank gas here in USA is called LP or LPG Liquid Propane Gas
In building gas is called Natural Gas
Natural Gas needs a bigger burner jet to get the same amount of heat as LPG
You may want to ask about getting both jets when you buy a roaster in case you want to sell it latter on..

#8: Post by Explorateur (original poster) »

Hello,
ok, thank you edtbjon finally, it looks like easy, not very expansive at all and a tank could last enough for my need. So, LPG seems be a good solution.
Thank you JK for this precision, you are right. Here in Europ it is egual, natural gas, and Propane (LPG/GPL in France) or butane. So I will need a small burner jet. You advise me to buy 2 jets at the same time I buy the roaster (one for LPG and one for natural gas in case I use it later) ?

JK

#9: Post by JK »

I think it is better to have both sets of jets for resale...
If cost is not crazy high..

I have a North /Mill City 1KG and it is made very well...

#10: Post by Explorateur (original poster) »

Hello JK,
thanks a lot !
You have a North / Mill City 1 kg. Good, maybe you could help me a little. What's the difference and comun point between North and Mill City ?
Is it the same firm ?
In my other topic I find help to choose one 1kg roaster. So, I can easy understand that the quality of german roaster like Probat and Giesen is very high ... and the price to ;)
In the website of Mill City, it cost 4249 USD, so more or less 3800 €.
The Toper Cafemino gas cost 5627 USD / 5025 €.
Do you know if this product is equivalent in quality than a Toper roaster Cafemino ? What are the differences ?