Ethiopian DP Aricha

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I can't wait to cup these roasts tomorrow! I roasted 3 batches, from hotter,faster to lighter slower, to cover a range.

My hottest and shortest roast is completely flooding my senses with clean, bright strawberries and vanilla. There's a food that smells exactly the same; when you open a package of those artificially flavored strawberry creme wafers. I've got high hopes for this one!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

EvanOz85

#2: Post by EvanOz85 »

Looking very forward to this!

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

It cupped well, but not as great as I was hoping. I'll do a much faster and lighter roast maybe tonight and see how that turns out. My fastest roast finished at 414. I'm going to aim for just as fast but stop closer to 400-404. It was interesting, Dustin did 4 small roasts last night and cupped his today and was equally unimpressed. He ranged his from 402-412 I believe.

This coffee definitely has potential. It's a super sweet DP and has a great balanced cup and body.

dustin360

#4: Post by dustin360 »

Ya, any input on a profile for this coffee would be greatly appreciated. Mine were only 12 hours old when I cupped em, but none of em were above a 87. Toms roast was better than mine, but still not a screaming 94 plus.

Arpi

#5: Post by Arpi »

I haven't try it yet. But I would try a shorter than normal finish phase (like around 1:50 or 2:00).

Cheers

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I repeated it last night, going faster, for a shorter time and dropping at 406. I wanted to limit the roast to just into a light city and see what the bean revealed. I'll cup it tomorrow and see, but I'm fearing underdevelopment. My finish stage from the onset of 1C was somewhere near 45 seconds if I recall correctly. I might end up ordering more than the 5lbs I bought, just trying to nail it.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Well I brewed this just now while at work and am pleasantly surprised. It's explosively sweet, clean, fruity. The flavor hints at strawberries, but honestly, it leans more akin to the vague, super sweet lemon and strawberry flavor of fruity pebbles cereal of all things. Just a hint of a tea like finish. I'd give the taste a 9, body a 7, aroma an 8. I quite like it. I'll order more if I can.

dustin360

#8: Post by dustin360 »

So my best recommendation for this coffee so far, is fast roast(8 to 9min), fast finish(1:15), city plus temps(411ish). Its the best ive gotten out of this coffee so far. Honestly id say the aroma is a 94, but the coffee is a 90 to 91. Probably wont be purchasing any more, as I all ready have a couple DP Ethiopians that score in the same realm.

*oh an interesting enough, this coffee does not like a lot of fan. Every roast ive done with high fan has been chalky.

jedovaty

#9: Post by jedovaty »

My Aricha roast went bonkers after first crack, but the resulting brew is drinkable with a lower brew temp and longish rest.

Can this one be had as espresso / cappuccino? I'd just go ahead and try, but getting a shot dialed in with my setup is a major PITA so I wanted to check here first.

the_trystero

#10: Post by the_trystero »

I love it as espresso, city +, but I like wild stuff.

I also blended it 25% to 75% of the Sweet Maria's Ethiopia Duromina for my Brazen pot this morning, and, I dunno, I can't imagine a nicer cup of morning coffee.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon