Espresso blend recommendations

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Bunkmil

#1: Post by Bunkmil »

Hi,

I'd like to know what espresso blend would you personally try if you would have those beans in stock :

El Salvador Cerro Las Ranas
Ethiopia Gedeo
Costa Rica Helsar de Zarcero
Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira da Grama - Pulped natural
Sumatra Gayo SWP
Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Konga - Washed
Colombian Valle de Cauca - Washed

Thanks!

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I'd try a base of Brazil, maybe 50%, then 25% Sumatra and 25% Costa Rica. Of course it depends on what you are after. I do see the Sumatra is decaf so not sure if that'll work.

Bodka Coffee

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee »

For sure don't try roasting the decaf in a blend with the others. Post blend.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

David, would you add either Ethiopian for a floral note?

Also with this variety of coffees, I'd be tempted to roast several as single origins, see how they taste by themselves and mix and match as in post blends.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Bodka Coffee

#5: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Not sure which David you are referring too but if you want some floral a natural Ethiopian would be great. That's a good idea to roast several and blend around til you get something you like

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary replying to Bodka Coffee »

Sorry, I meant, David aka "Bodka Coffee." :mrgreen:
Gary
LMWDP#308

Bunkmil (original poster)

#7: Post by Bunkmil (original poster) »

Bodka Coffee wrote:I'd try a base of Brazil, maybe 50%, then 25% Sumatra and 25% Costa Rica. Of course it depends on what you are after. I do see the Sumatra is decaf so not sure if that'll work.
I did try that same Sumatra not decaf and the SWP is pretty close to the original. So it might work. But of course I'll have to roast it separately.

What I'm looking for is a sweet fruity blend. I usually prefer to roast on the bright side but I also like a bit of caramel. I don't know if that makes sense (I'm not a cupping expert) ?

Thanks

Bodka Coffee

#8: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Ah. Start with the Gedeo and Colombian then. Maybe some Brazil? I'm not familiar with the Costa Rica so not sure about it.

Bunkmil (original poster)

#9: Post by Bunkmil (original poster) »

drgary wrote:David, would you add either Ethiopian for a floral note?

Also with this variety of coffees, I'd be tempted to roast several as single origins, see how they taste by themselves and mix and match as in post blends.
That is a good idea. However as I'm the only coffee drinker in the house I cannot afford to roast all those coffees separately. They would stale way before I could drink them all!

I'm just looking for suggestions as I don't really know where to start. I did try them all as single origin and I think that they are all great coffees but I also feel that blending could add another layer in the experience.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

You can freeze them airtight at peak. This will keep them fresh for a long time.

Coffee: To Freeze or Not to Freeze
Gary
LMWDP#308