Drum Temperature to Start Out the Roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Blakethomas

#1: Post by Blakethomas »

Hey guys,

I have a Huky 500 on the way and can't wait to get started with the roasting. Couple of quick questions:

What temperature do you bring the drum to before you drop in the green beans?
Do you have a target rate of rise?

Looking forward to experimenting with different roast profiles.

Blake

hankua
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by hankua »

200*C works for a start; I turn the gas down low after that. Then up high after the turn 80-100*C @1:30. Then slowly taper the gas down during the rest of the roast. (This is using the stock IR stove w/regulator and 1lb green coffee)

edtbjon

#3: Post by edtbjon »

I'm just some ten or so roasts ahead of you and I found great advice (especially KFir's answer) in this thread: Learning my Huky 500.
You will note that KFirs starting temp are a bit higher (230-280C, depending on load size). I recon it's more about personal preferences, i.e. how much leeway do you want in shaping the rest of the profile.
Anyhow, you will have great fun, at least I have.

cygnusx1

#4: Post by cygnusx1 »

Your charge temp will vary based on the weight of the charge. Since I roast 8oz batches, I'll charge at around 300F depending on conditions. I usually reduce the heat at charge to 10% then increase to around 40% at TP. I like to get around a 4-5 minute drying phase then go full blast.

But again the start temp definitely will depend on the weight of your charge.

bean2friends

#5: Post by bean2friends »

Using the perforated drum and the BT probe and the stock stove with lpg, Kfir's temps work very well for me.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by hankua »

Post a pic. when you get it set up. :D My first Huky roast hit 1C in 6 min. using Mr. Li's starting temp.:shock:
It's good to find the extreme edges of roast parameter to establish your comfort zone.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

I have a different roaster with a solid 1/8 thick drum. I let it preheat for about 15-20min and overshoot my charge temp by 50 degrees. Then back the gas down and let the system stabilize at 400-450F depending on the charge amount and bean. Then charge the drum, no gas change. I will make very small damper adjustments to regulate the gas flow up to near first crack (provided I am happy with the rate of rise).
Dave Stephens

Blakethomas (original poster)

#8: Post by Blakethomas (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for getting back to me.