Drum Speed: The physics, convection and conduction debated - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SJM

#41: Post by SJM »

In trying to determine that gas/fan equilibrium point, what is a reasonable temperature to use for getting everything stable.
Should I be trying to get it stable at a planned charge temperature (410F for example)?
And what would this equilibrium look like for ET, BT and MET in relation to each other?

Susan
who mostly cares about this as it might relate to her Huky :-))

chang00

#42: Post by chang00 »

For me and in my roaster, the most important equilibrium point is at first crack. If I aim for the "Nordic" roast like ~<1c/min rate of rise of the "bean mass temperature", I need to know the equilibrium point where the gas and damper opening gives a flat temperature curve at given green coffee charge weight. If I aim for 5c/min (my basic roast), I set the damper and gas setting for a slightly steeper rise, in which the damper is slightly more closed (less air flow) than the "Nordic" setting.

At charge temperature, the damper generally is closed, because the drum is transferring heat energy to the beans and I don't want to loose that energy.

ira
Team HB

#43: Post by ira »

I don't understand how drum rpm can make a difference but at the same time no difference. Nor do I understand how varying drum rpm makes roast adjustment any speedier or more convenient than a steady rpm. Can you provide some illustrative examples?
It seems to me that among other things, drum speed controls the percentage of time the beans spend in the air. It would also seem like the more time they spend in the air, the more they are agitated and the more evenly they roast. Theoretically anyway.

And then the question becomes, is that an advantage? Don't ask me, I'm better at thinking of the question here than having any idea of the answers.

Ira