DIY afterburner or smoke filter

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pngboy

#1: Post by pngboy »

I recently moved to an apartment in the middle of Berlin and I would love to do 500g roasts without pissing off my new neighbors. I'm looking to do something simple and cheap. There are probably many of you that have come up with some nice simple solutions.

I was thinking some loose active carbon mixed with carbon filters a fan and maybe I could eliminate much of the smoke. Thanks

AndreG
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by AndreG »

One can be seen with the new Bullet roaster. You could ask...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pngboy (original poster)

#4: Post by pngboy (original poster) »

cool thanks. I was thinking something similarly along those lines. I'm surprised no one sells a mini prosumer afterburner or something similar with so many home roasters out there now.

jmc

#5: Post by jmc »

John

pngboy (original poster)

#6: Post by pngboy (original poster) »

Thanks. That would be really nice but a little expensive.
Maybe something like this in a box with one or two pre-filters would do the job for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Horticul ... able+speed

poison

#7: Post by poison »

That Israeli company, coffee tech I think, makes the cheapest solution I've seen, the avirnaki (clean air in hebrew), and it ain't cheap. But if someone ever yells at my 6lb roaster, I'd probably buy one.

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

I have one of those, but I think the price of the filters would make it unreasonable for coffee. Also, it doesn't move that much air, it's intended for grabbing the fumes from soldering, much less volume than 12oz of coffee.

Ira

pngboy (original poster)

#9: Post by pngboy (original poster) »

Looks like the best option is probably just making my own little filtration system.

CoffeeRoastersClub

#10: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

Will you be roasting indoors? You may remove some (not all) of the smoke with a carbon filter assembly but I doubt that you will remove any carbon monoxide. If you are roasting just a pound or less I suggest just roasting outdoors. If you roast just up to second crack you will not get alot of smoke, and if done outdoors I can't see where it would be an issue. Are there special outdoor roasting restrictions in place where you reside in Germany?
"I'll quit coffee. It won't be easy drinking my Bailey's straight, but I'll get used to it." ~TV show Will & Grace