Data Logging to a Native Mac Environment Running Artisan? (Yes!) - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
tekomino

#41: Post by tekomino »

You don't need to press any buttons to tell it to send data. The Artisan will open the port to probe when its configured correctly and it will read data.

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by Italyhound »

I didn't press any button but the power button. It should be automatic.

In artisan, you will need to choose the device which is the omega HH806. Then I believe (and I am not at home right now) you choose configure device from the top menu. There should be the port listed in the dropdown box that the USB is plugged into. That is the step I could never get because it wasnt recognized.

Once you do that, the temps will appear in artisan automatically.

Can you not get that far?

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#43: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Italyhound wrote:In artisan, you will need to choose the device which is the omega HH806. Then I believe (and I am not at home right now) you choose configure device from the top menu. There should be the port listed in the dropdown box that the USB is plugged into. That is the step I could never get because it wasnt recognized.

Once you do that, the temps will appear in artisan automatically.

Can you not get that far?
I see an Artisan Roaster Scope. Pressing the Home button leaves it there. So, no, I can't get that far because I am not seeing where to choose the device within Artisan.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by Italyhound »

Im home now.

On the artisan top menu (apple, artisan,file,edit,roast,config,help) , go into configure --> device and choose the omega.

Then attach the cable to the mac and the device. Turn the device on. Open artisan and go to configure --> serial port.

What devices if any do you see in that box?

** Added - there are specific install instructions for the drivers on that download page.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#45: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks, Evan. That's got me almost working. Artisan is now tracking only one of the TCs. Do you know what I might be missing to get both probes logging?

BTW I discovered I'd downloaded the wrong drivers until I went to the start of the thread and downloaded these.
Arpi wrote:The Omega HH309A has a different chip than the Omega HH806AU (different driver). The chip is in the USB cable itself (not inside the meter). The Center 309 I believe does not come with a USB cable (not sure). they are both the same meters 100%. But I think the extra usb converter (usb cable) was added by Omega. You would need to purchase an RS232-USB converter and use the supplied driver.

This is the driver for the Omega HH309A (supplied Omega usb cable) :

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Page ... ivers.aspx
Gary
LMWDP#308

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by Italyhound »

See if on the unit itself both temps are showing T1 and T2. Artisan may be tracking only one probes output.

Look at the temps on the amprobe display. There should be two and they should be labelled T1 and T2 (above the numbers - very small). If they both say t1 or t2, then go to the bottom buttons and toggle one of the bottom row buttons so that one will say T1 and the other one will say T2.

Evan

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#47: Post by drgary (original poster) »

I may have a broken Amprobe. Everything else seems to be working but the temperature on one TC port reads 1696.6F while the other reads 72.8F. This kind of difference appears even when I swap TCs. This would make one of the TCs not show up in Artisan because it's off the scale. The mediocre tech I reached at Amprobe thought the meter is defective. So with you have a bad cable and me a possibly defective meter, quality control there isn't so great. :?
Gary
LMWDP#308

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by Italyhound »

Are they getting you a replacement I hope?

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#49: Post by drgary (original poster) replying to Italyhound »

Yes. Tomorrow. I'm happy to be just a step away from being able to log roasts and it'll be ready for me on my commute to work. Not a big hassle.
Gary
LMWDP#308

seldomseensmith

#50: Post by seldomseensmith »

I'm getting ready to purchase an Amprobe. How long are the thermocouple cords and USB cable that come with the device? Also, what length are the probes?