Data Logging to a Native Mac Environment Running Artisan? (Yes!) - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by Italyhound »

Thanks, Arpi. I will actually try that since I assumed both computers malfunctioning meant it was the device but the cable is also common to both.

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by Italyhound »

I don't believe it - after aalllll this time of struggling - it was the @#$^&* CABLE!

Arpi, as fate would have it, I had a brand new cable in a drawer which had been sitting there forever. I opened it, connected it to the meter and now both machines work with the meter and the software just fine. I ran simulated roasts with both before posting. I rebooted both machines, unplugged and plugged the meter back in - stable.

I am thrilled and am very thankful to you - especially because I had given up - and I hate manual inputs!

:P

Advertisement
Arpi

#33: Post by Arpi »

checked!

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#34: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Three cheers! Now I can buy my data logger without that sinking feelng! :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

docjoe

#35: Post by docjoe »

Italyhound wrote:I don't believe it - after aalllll this time of struggling - it was the @#$^&* CABLE!

Arpi, as fate would have it, I had a brand new cable in a drawer which had been sitting there forever. I opened it, connected it to the meter and now both machines work with the meter and the software just fine. I ran simulated roasts with both before posting. I rebooted both machines, unplugged and plugged the meter back in - stable.

I am thrilled and am very thankful to you - especially because I had given up - and I hate manual inputs!

:P

Awesome! Glad you were able to find the problem!

Was it the cable that came with the Amprobe or one you had at home?

Anyway, glad it's working now!
Cheers!

Joe

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by Italyhound »

It was the cable that came with the meter.

DavidMLewis

#37: Post by DavidMLewis »

Italyhound wrote:I don't believe it - after aalllll this time of struggling - it was the @#$^&* CABLE!
In these circumstances, it is very useful to pick up Growl and hardwaregrowler from the Mac App Store. With hardwaregrowler running, you will get a Growl notification whenever a USB device is added or removed, so you can easily wiggle things and see a flurry of events. I had an iSight camera cable go bad inside a MacBook Pro once, and that's how I found it and was able to show the person in the Apple Store where the problem was.

Best,
David

Advertisement
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#38: Post by drgary (original poster) »

I got the Amprobe TMD-56 and am setting it up. Currently my MacBook doesn't see that it's inserted in the USB port. Here's how I've done the installation so far: I inserted batteries and thermocouples and when I turn on the meter I can see that the temperatures are being measured. I downloaded and installed the VSP drivers from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm for my Mac running OS/X 10.6.8. I also downloaded and installed Artisan for the Mac. The Amprobe TMD-56 comes with a tiny DVD disk that cannot be read by my MacBook because it won't connect with the internal DVD drive. So I looked at the Amprobe site for a driver for the TMD-56 and didn't find one. I've written to Amprobe to see if they have a driver I need to download. Added a few minutes later: Amprobe's drivers aren't Mac compatible, so I'm relying on the VCP drivers downloaded from the site linked above.

Artisan software starts up and runs on my Mac, so I am one connection short of being able to log temperatures for roasting. :roll: Short of testing a brand new cable, does anyone know what step I may be missing?

Added: If I'm missing a Windows computer I may just borrow my wife's laptop and do my roast profiles that way but would like to make this work in a Mac at least for proof of concept. :wink:
Gary
LMWDP#308

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by Italyhound »

Deja vu ... to a T :shock:

I emailed them - they said it's windows only.

I ran it through parallels. No go.

I (de)installed the drivers several times to no avail.

I posted here - I agonized.

I changed the cable - voila. :D

One thing you might want to try. see if you can reliably connect it to a PC if you have one. I was only able to intermittently at best so that pointed to the cable (which I should have recognized in retrospect).

I wouldn't spend too much time (like I did) before trying a new cable. The one they sent with it was definitely the culprit for me.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#40: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Evan:

I've switched cables and have one that looks like the one that came with the unit and another that connects with the round input in the Amprobe. Still not seeing anything. What buttons did you press in which sequence on the Amprobe to tell it to send its TC readings over the USB port?
Gary
LMWDP#308