Conventions When Posting Roast Graphs

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SAS
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by SAS »

Suggestion Incoming :idea:

I would like to propose that when posting roasting graphs on our forum, title the graph. I've given in to not having us all use the same temperature units; I still wish we would.

A basic concept my students learned in graphing: Title your graph, label the axis, show the units, ....
Could we all try to do that on our forum too; at least with the title?

Instead of seeing a graph titled Roaster Scope , I think it would be better to see Mexico Chiapas, March 16, 2015 and any other details you would like to include. My convention is this: Country of bean, Region, Farm/Co-op/Station, charge weight, weight loss, roast level, date.
Mexico Chiapas, 400g; 18.6%; Full City+, March 16, 2015

I think it would facilitate sharing information better and that is one of the main points of our participation in the forum.

That's All Folks, back to our regularly scheduled programming
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

akiley

#2: Post by akiley »

SAS wrote:Suggestion Incoming :idea:

I would like to propose that when posting roasting graphs on our forum, title the graph. I've given in to not having us all use the same temperature units; I still wish we would.

A basic concept my students learned in graphing: Title your graph, label the axis, show the units, ....
Could we all try to do that on our forum too; at least with the title?

Instead of seeing a graph titled Roaster Scope , I think it would be better to see Mexico Chiapas, March 16, 2015 and any other details you would like to include. My convention is this: Country of bean, Region, Farm/Co-op/Station, charge weight, weight loss, roast level, date.
Mexico Chiapas, 400g; 18.6%; Full City+, March 16, 2015

<image>

I think it would facilitate sharing information better and that is one of the main points of our participation in the forum.

That's All Folks, back to our regularly scheduled programming
Good idea. I just started using Artisan (PC) to compare it to Roastmaster (iPad) which I have used for years. I'm grappling with a logical workflow for Artisan. Naming the file is a big part of organization for ease of search, sort etc. I'm working on a naming convention that I can enter in Artisan's Roast Properties-Name, then just cut and paste that name as the filename when saving the roast.

Wouldn't it be best to put the name of the bean first? This way if you sort your roasts in your file system, all the roasts are grouped in bean order when sorted on filename. Something like this: (notice I added the roaster)

Yirgacheffe Kochore Zonegeciyo_Ethiopian_150324_Huky 350g end 421f

Or are folks using database, spreadsheet, or other apps to log Artisan roasts? Roastmaster is a one stop app for roast, cupping, inventory, with a lot of built in search, grouping and reporting functions, so I'm kind of lost in Artisan. Sorry for the OT drift.

MaKoMo

#3: Post by MaKoMo »

In Artisan, if you fill all data in the Roast Properties dialog and do a right click on the x-axis label you get about what you suggest to put in the title field.

akiley

#4: Post by akiley »

MaKoMo wrote:In Artisan, if you fill all data in the Roast Properties dialog and do a right click on the x-axis label you get about what you suggest to put in the title field.

<image>
Thanks,

But where is the X axis label I right click on? I tried everywhere I could think of. I PM'd you but you might have missed that.

MaKoMo

#5: Post by MaKoMo replying to akiley »

Hm. Did not get a PM from you. Anyhow, I forgot one important thing. You need to tick "Characteristics" in the Statistics dialog (menu Config >> Statistics). Then the x-label (the line of text underneath the x-axis) that by default reads "min" (so the unit of the x-axis) gives you some roast characteristics. Right-click on this line of text toggles between two sets of data.

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

akiley wrote:But where is the X axis label I right click on? I tried everywhere I could think of. I PM'd you but you might have missed that.
Assuming you've got the "Characteristics" box checked...

Place your cursor arrow over "0" on the X (time) axis. Right click, and some of the information you entered into the Roast / Properties page, i.e., date, name of bean, charge weight, and moisture loss, will appear beneath the graph.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator