Cold weather ruining my roasts

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pacificmanitou

#1: Post by pacificmanitou »

With the weather cooling for winter its becoming obvious that I can't roast outside like I usually do with my popcorn popper. I have a few ways to progress from here, but I could use some help:

First, move inside. Id like to move my roasting inside, but I would need a way to control chaff. How would I go about this? Ive thought about attachments on the top of the popper, but they seem to heat the chamber too much and destroy the roast. Am I missing something?

Second, insulate the roaster. This is where Im absolutely lost. I have no idea how I would do this and am not sure it can be done

Finally, a question. Do I need a different roaster? Are there any inexpensive roasters that will NOT blow chaff everywhere (smoke is not an issue)?
LMWDP #366

allon

#2: Post by allon »

Why can't you roast?
The cooler air will help you slow the roast.

I used to do heat gun roasts in the snow. Cooling the roast is nice and fast too.

Granted it isn't as pleasant a job...
LMWDP #331

erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

In my Gene Cafe I aslo like the colder tempratures. It gives me more time to ramp up and doesn't let the roast run too fast. Maybe it's different with a popcorn popper.

EricBNC

#4: Post by EricBNC »

I sample roast inside with my old Fresh Roast Plus or Melitta CBR - small volume though - 50 to 70g of green beans so the smoke is minimal but the chaff is captured in both roasters. Both are similar to poppers since hot air is used to heat the beans.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

Burner0000

#5: Post by Burner0000 »

If you're just using the popper try adding a aluminum cylinder or a can with the top and bottom cut out. Also try putting a lid on it to trap the hot air. Cut holes in the lid to allow a bit of air flow. This did the trick for me. Another method is to roast in a deep cardboard box to block cool airflow. This will help with chaff collection.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

jedovaty

#6: Post by jedovaty »

What Chris said, in a cardboard box.

UltramaticOrange

#7: Post by UltramaticOrange »

+1 Chris

Visual aid / source:
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

pacificmanitou (original poster)

#8: Post by pacificmanitou (original poster) »

I can't roast outside anymore because I never reach first crack, I just get a 7 minute bake resulting in a really bright, grassy coffee, much like what ultramaticorange posted. it would be interesting to try the box in that regard. I'm also considering upping my dose to heat the chamber. In warmer months I dropped it because it was too hot, perhaps I could solve the problem by roasting more? I've also been looking into an actual roaster, but they seem fairly useless in the sub-$500 level, with the jury still out on the behmor. Could I find a viable low end roaster that will suit my needs? I'm not opposed to extra work to reduce cost, or inconvenience in the process if the cup is good.
LMWDP #366

Burner0000

#9: Post by Burner0000 »

I own the Behmor and I can tell you it's worth every penny! Under $500 there is the Freshroast SR 300 & 500 (Fluid bed roasters) like your popper, The Caffe Rosto, The FZRR-700, The I-roast which is discontinued and the Nesco roaster. Not to mention the Behmor 1600.

If cost is an issue spend $30 on a T-fal and a pot lid to roast via stovetop. I have had amazing results with even a full pound.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

espressojr
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by espressojr »

pacificmanitou wrote:I can't roast outside anymore because I never reach first crack,

with a popcorn popper you could start inside, then move it outside when it starts to smoke nearing 1st crack. With as fast as it goes into 1st crack with a popper, you would probably have enough residual heat in the chamber. The with the cooling air, you might even be able to slow down the phase from 1st to 2nd crack. Might be worth experimenting....

all you need is an outlet next to the door and a long extension cord.

my 0.02
jim